LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

lasinsf
|
I just completed this game and got all the answers correct - hooray for me! :-D

What's frustrating is that it took me about 30 min to complete, as I felt I needed to draw out most answer choices in order to visualize whether I could discard them or not.

Is there some trick to accomplishing this without having to draw out a million different scenarios for the answer choices? I mean, it's great that I got the answer right, but in real test conditions, I would have only completed this one game.

Please help. Thanks!
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lasinsf,

Thanks for your question. Did you review carefully the game set-up explanation at the end of the homework? We certainly did not set up every answer choice to each question, so clearly we did something you didn't. For instance, did you notice that the game utilizes a two-value system? Each painting must be either an oil or watercolor, but not both. Likewise, each is either from the 19th or from the 20th centuries.

Let us know if the homework explanations at the end of L4 HW made sense. If not, what precisely did you have trouble with?

Thanks!
 lasinsf
|
Thanks, Nikki, for taking the time to reply.

Upon a careful second review of the homework explanations, I got some clarity. I seemed to sail through Q's 15 & 16 without much hassle, but starting with Q. 17, I had some problems.

My problem stemmed from not pausing to look back at the main diagram to attempt to visualize possible inferences resulting from the limitations placed on the situation. This caused me to rush into "busy work" of sketching out all the scenarios.

It may be that some of my clarity was gained from the hindsight of reviewing the explanations, but I now see the value in taking a deliberate pause to try to do some of the work in my head to save effort and time.

Thank you again.
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey lasinsf,

That's exactly the take-home message from this. I couldn't have said it better myself :-)

Let us know if run into other games that give you trouble.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.