LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Basia W
|
Good afternoon,

I have a question for the setup of game #11 on 3-48 in relation to O chosen for Stop 5. I am not understanding how one can infer that since O is not in stop 1 that it can't be in 2 and how this rule relates to the fourth rule including N.

Thank you for your help!

Very best,

Basia
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Basia,

If O is in stop 5, by the first rule is can't be in 4 or 6. As 6 matches 1 by the second rule and 4 matches 2 by the third rule, O cannot be in 1 or 2 either by these rules (it's not that O not in 1 makes O not in 2 - it's that O in 5 means O not in 4 means O not in 2).

If O is in 5 and can't be in 1, 2, 4, or 6, then N can't go in 2, 3, or 4. Because if it were in 2, it would need to be preceded by L or M, O being excluded already, but the fourth rule makes that impossible. If it can't go in 2, it can't go in 4 by the third rule. It can't go in 3 because it would again have to be preceded by L or M, O being excluded. So a violation of the fourth rule would occur there. Basically, if O can't go somewhere, N can't go after that slot because there is nothing that can fit with the fourth rule.

Robert Carroll
 Basia W
|
Good morning,

thank you for your explanation.
Is there a way to get better at seeing and drawing these inferences (or does it all come down to practice?)

Best,

Basia
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Basia,

Good question! Practice is extremely important, because that helps you become familiar with the different presentations of the same concept. Reviewing your work is also essential, because that allows you to break down what happened and why (which means that when you next practice, you are better prepared if something similar arises!).

And, there's also still more to learn in the course you are currently in, so that will help too :-D

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 Basia W
|
Hello,

It did thank you. I still find the games more intimidating than any other section of the LSAT and seem to have the hardest time grasping those particular concepts. I will keep on being patient though, and review my work!

Best,

Basia

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.