LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

lorein21
|
Game #9 June 1992 questions 1-6
page 3-46 of Lesson 3 Homework section

I'm having trouble figuring out how to set up this game. It's taking me too long and for question 2 I dont see why It cant be E and the answer is C. I also got question 3, 4 and 6 wrong so I'm doing something wrong with the set up. Please help? thank you.

Lorein
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Lorein. This game does tend to cause some confusion, mainly because some students make a false assumption that John has to get at least one of every grade. Question 2 should make clear that that's not required - if he passes everything, that means he doesn't get any "E" grades.

The setup on this game is linear, with the grades as the base - A through E - since those are the variables that have the most inherent order to them (A is higher than B, which is higher than C, etc.). The rules are:

a [GP] block (sorry, that's the best I can do on my keyboard). This is a combination of the first and last rules - G and P are consecutive and G is before P.

a double block of either [IR] or [RI] (they are consecutive, but we don't know which order)

E > H

In question 2, we know that John doesn't get an E in anything, and G comes before both I and R. So what must be true? You liked answer choice E, but what if I told you that John got an A in Geology, B's in Economics, Italian and Physics, and C's in History and Russian? No D's at all, and all the rules have been obeyed (GP, IR, E>H, with G>IR). This makes answer choice D correct (not C, by the way). If he had no B's, your GP block would be at C and D, and then where with the IR or RI block go? If no C's, GP would be an A and a B, but again, where would you put IR or RI? Remember, he doesn't get an E in any class.

Try that setup on the rest of the questions, and let me know how you do. Good luck!

Adam
LSAT Instructor, Charlotte, NC

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.