LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

miruke
|
I have a question concerning the setup Question 11.1

The correct answer choice was C but i don't understand why that must be true. Since according to the rule 5th place is T/V and Third place is Z/Y.Why must Y be chosen in the third place just because V is picked for fifth in order to fulfill the conditional reasoning rule (S is 8th when Y is third).Aren't these two separate rules?

Thank u so much!
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi miruke,

Thanks for your question. As you note, either Y or Z must be third; also, either T or V must be fifth. Also, the third and fifth rules create a Z _ T block. Thus, if V is fifth, clearly T cannot be fifth. Consequently, the Z _ T block cannot be positioned in spaces 3-5, preventing Z from being third. We have no choice, then, but to place Y in the third position. This triggers the sufficient condition of the fourth rule and forces S to be picked up eight.

The initial setup of this drill is best solved with templates: there are only three positions in which the Z _ T block can be inserted. Also, notice that Z cannot be sixth. Do you see why?

Hope this helps! Let me know.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.