LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

lbayliyeva@unm.edu
|
Why is the answer to question 21 B?

Based from the lines 31-32 and 58-65, Eltis supports part of William's conclusion.

It does not say that Drescher also supports part of William's conclusion. In fact, in lines 12-16, it says that he "[rejects] interpretation based on either economic interest or the moral vision of of abolitionists." William concludes that the cause for British abolition of slavery is economic. That stands contrary to what answer choice B is saying that "...Drescher ... [supports] for part of William's conclusion."

What am I missing?

Thank you for your help in advance.
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
lbayliyeva@unm.edu wrote:Why is the answer to question 21 B?

Based from the lines 31-32 and 58-65, Eltis supports part of William's conclusion.

It does not say that Drescher also supports part of William's conclusion. In fact, in lines 12-16, it says that he "[rejects] interpretation based on either economic interest or the moral vision of of abolitionists." William concludes that the cause for British abolition of slavery is economic. That stands contrary to what answer choice B is saying that "...Drescher ... [supports] for part of William's conclusion."

What am I missing?

Thank you for your help in advance.
Hello lbayliyeva,

You have some sharp observations above, but one crucial detail is that answer B doesn't say that *Drescher and Eltis* gave support for part of Williams' conclusion. Maybe just Eltis gives support, not Drescher. So, passages are tricky that way, in that you have to read closely and see exactly what is being said.

Hope that helps,
David
 lbayliyeva@unm.edu
|
Thank you so much for your help.

May I clarify for myself the following information, please?

Whenever I have 'both...and..." as in choice B, both parties do not have to agree, as in this instance, on a matter. One party is sufficient enough to draw a conclusion. In contrast, when I see "...and...," both parties have to agree on a matter in order for the conclusion to be correct. In essence, the word 'both' is the game changer in the answer choice B.
 BethRibet
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi there,

The crucial issue here is that we don't know as phrased who or what supported part of William's conclusion. We know that Drescher and Eltis criticized it, and that there is some support for it, but not from where, as the answer choice is phrased. Since Eltis but not Drescher supported Williams, and both criticized it, this is a good fit for what's actually happening in the passage.

"Both...and" refers to them both criticizing it -- not to who or what supported it.

Hope that clarifies!

Beth

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.