LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

ellenb
|
Dear Powerscore,

For this passage I got most of them right except question #24, please let me know, why A is wrong and why C is the right answer?
Also, for question #28 why D is the wrong answer and why C is right?

Thanks

Ellen
 Jacques Lamothe
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ellen,

For question #24, answer choice (A) is incorrect because the author never talks about the inevitability of the trend towards defining the physician's work as a trade. The efforts of some groups to define medicine as a trade is mentioned above lines 8-10, but nothing is brought up after those lines that would suggest the question was posed to introduce an argument that supported accepting the project of redefining medicine.

(D) is correct because most of the passage after the question is about the value of continuing to treat medicine as a profession. The question in lines 8-10 was not being used rhetorically to imply that there was no reason for sensible people to resist the efforts of groups to redefine medicine. It is used to frame the rest of the passage as a reason that sensible people should defends treating medicine as a profession.

For question #28, (D) is incorrect because the author does not advocate using the historical and linguistic roots of the term. In lines 19-26, the author looks at the historical use of the term, but ultimately claims that the understanding we get from looking at the word's root is insufficient. That linguistic analysis is actually the first instance of the author criticizing one definition of what constitutes a profession. This happens several more times when the author rejects the view that a professional is anyone who has acquired knowledge (line37-38) and the view that professionals are determined by their honors (line 43-45). That's why answer choice (C) is correct.

I hope that helps!

Jacques
 Zierra28
|
For 24, I don't see why D is incorrect if he's "rallying" sensible people. Can you assist please? Thanks!

Also, #27, I chose D, which is incorrect. Can you help me better understand that please?
 Ladan Soleimani
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Zierra,

On question 24 answer choice (D) does not work because the author never provides any suggestions for rallying people to defend physicians. The question posed by the author is primarily concerned with introducing the process of discovering why physicians should be considered professionals, not hot to get people to support them.

Question 27 is an expansion questions and is rather difficult. You are asked to pick a sentence that could begin the next paragraph in the passage. Answer choice (B) is correct because it keeps with the idea in the last paragraph about how being a professional is a public act of professing ones devotion and brings back in the critics that the author has been arguing with throughout the passage.

Answer choice (D) does too far beyond what the passage has been discussing. There has not been any mention of the "myriad confusions and uncertainties of our time." There is also no reason in the passage to suggest that the author would consider the essence of the medical profession as one of these uncertainties.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Ladan
 starre
|
For #26, I see how the answer is E from the referenced lines in the answers, but I don't see how B is wrong (that's what my answer was). Could you explain that for me?
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi starre,

There's simply no indication of them being "demoralized" anywhere in the passage. As a result, B just doesn't quite fit. I hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.