LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

ellenb
|
Dear Powerscore,

For this passage I got most of them right except question #4, please let me know, why B is wrong and why A is the right answer?

Thanks

Ellen
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ellen,

Thanks for your question. It would be helpful to know more about your reaction to the question; did you prephrase an answer? What did you like about answer choice (B), and what didn't you like about the right answer?

Let us know--thanks!

~Steve
 ellenb
|
Dear Steve,

thanks for your reply, to answer your questions:

did you prephrase an answer? yes, I did and I looked at lines 39 and 41, since a major concern of the critics is that they might escape from the laboratory, and I really liked D, since it said that the microorganisms cannot survive outside the treatment plant.

what didn't you like about the right answer? I liked A the right answer, however, it was my second choice after I saw D, so I was torn between the two choices.

Thanks

Ellen
 Jacques Lamothe
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Ellen,

Answer choice (D) is tricky because, like you pointed out, it deals with microorganisms escaping into the environment just like (A) does. Both answers weaken the rDNA opponents, but the questions asks for the answer that "most weakens." We know that the rDNA opponents' concerns are about genetically engineered microorganisms interacting with other creatures in the environment. (A) weakens their argument the most because, if answer (A) is true, the microorganisms will never get out of the laboratory.

Answer choice (D) does not provide such a strong assurance that microorganisms will never interact with the environment. Even though the microorganisms cannot survive outside the waste plant, they are still outside of the laboratory and can possible interact with other microorganisms within the waste plant.

I hope that helps!

Jacques

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.