LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Vexans
|
Hi, I wasn't able to find an explanation for why E) is the correct answer. Would you mind explaining this.

When I was answering the question, I narrowed my contenders down to A) and E), because I felt both were supported. I chose A) because of line 8. Although line 23 starts with "Curiously, however...", nothing said after this directly undermines the hypothesis of the arthropologists in line 8. The author never seems to argue against this statement, and the idea that the Aurignacians could "live a more secure life" that other groups and that they sought to gain magical power over their prey, are not mutually exclusive concepts.

Any help with this is appreciated.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey there Vexans, thanks for asking. First, here is a link to some additional discussion of this passage, including a thread devoted to this question:

lsat/viewforum.php?f=858

Now, to add to that discussion with my own two cents: this question is asking about what the author would agree with, not what some anthropologists think. Is there any indication in the passage that our author thinks those guys are right about the Aurignacians having an easier life? I see none. Quite the opposite, in fact - the author seems enamored of the idea that the remote locations of the paintings, the commonality of the magical explanation for this type of painting, the content of the images themselves, and the physical evidence in the caves of ceremonies having been performed there all support the "exerting magical power" explanation rather than one based on leisure activity. While the two might not be mutually exclusive - they could have had easier lives AND wanted to exert magical power over the animals - there is no indication that our author thinks that is the case.

Since the question is about what the author would agree with (based solely on the text), and not about what may or may not be true, answer A cannot be correct.

I hope that paints a good picture for you!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.