LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Sherry123
|
Hi there!

I'm hoping you can provide further explanation for why E was the correct answer.

I was torn between e and c and selected c. I did not like c because it felt rather general, and on second read I'm noticing that the author is not really trying to "warn" us.

However, while doing the questions e ultimately felt wrong because there is only slight reference to sociopolitical ramifications ("totalitarian state") and I felt I may be bringing outside knowledge in. Furthermore, I felt the author was showing an extreme worst case scenario, and e made it appear as though the author was stating that a totalitarian society was a natural possible outcome of tinkering with human genes.

Thank you in advance for your help!!
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sherry123,

Thanks for your question, and welcome to the Forum!

The last paragraph deals with the ethical problems that stem from the use of rDNA technology. The purpose of the last sentence of that paragraph is to raise yet another possible objection to this practice: the advent of a totalitarian society that engineers human beings to fulfill specific roles. This is indeed a sociopolitical ramification, so there is nothing wrong with that reference in answer choice (E). Meanwhile, answer choice (C) can easily be ruled out, not because of the word "warn" (I think the author IS trying to warn us about the dangers of using rDNA technology), but rather because "upsetting the balance of nature" is too broad of a claim. Not every instance of such an "upsetting," if you will, is bound to cause the disasters we are being warned about.

Hope this clears it up!

Thanks,

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.