LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

jostomel
|
I have a question on lesson 2 homework, pg 2-34 and 2-35. I am having trouble seeing the correct answer on questions 5 and 6. on 6 six it looks like Maria will speak if the chairman does NOT speak, but the diagram is Maria speaks then chairman doesn't speak. I think I am getting hung up on all of the negatives. same question on 5
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
jostomel wrote:I have a question on lesson 2 homework, pg 2-34 and 2-35. I am having trouble seeing the correct answer on questions 5 and 6. on 6 six it looks like Maria will speak if the chairman does NOT speak, but the diagram is Maria speaks then chairman doesn't speak. I think I am getting hung up on all of the negatives. same question on 5
Hello jostomel,

Yes, negatives can be tricky. But hang in there!

For "unless" and similar negative-leaning "necessary" indicators, you keep what's after the word, and negate what's before it. So, it does look like if M speaks, chairman doesn't. With what you say above, you switch around the "if".
I.e., it's

"If Maria speaks, the chairman doesn't"; but the way you put it above is,

"If chairman doesn't speak, Maria does." Which seems to be a Mistaken Reversal of sorts. Be careful where the "if" goes!

Hope this helps,
David

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.