LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

krosenow220
|
Hi I am very confused on this drill, if you could please help that would be great!

I am especially confused, for example, on question #4 where it asks for the "could be true" items for "if O occurs, what:". How "could it be true" that N occurs; N does not occur. My question is doesn't N have to not occur (hence the crossed out N in the statement) in order for O to occur?

Similarly, I am also confused how in the second half of this question (If Q occurs) the answers for "could be true" include "o occurs, o does not occur, n occurs, n does not occur". Again, don't these have to in order for Q to occur?

Not sure why, but this part is not clicking with me very well. I would really appreciate your help! Thanks!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi K,

Thanks for the question! There's actually a separate section in the forum for Homework Drill questions that you might have missed, and this question has been addressed there are few times:

lsat/viewtopic.php?t=5968

lsat/viewtopic.php?t=4606

lsat/viewtopic.php?t=3763

I'll move your post to that subforum shortly!

The gist of this is that when O occurs, that doesn't tell you anything about N (to think so is a Mistaken Reversal). Think about it like this:

• If I do not get an A in history class, then I will be unhappy.

So, knowing the above is true, let's say we later discover this person is unhappy. Does that tell us whether they received an A or not? No, because they could be unhappy for other reasons. The same logic applies here: all we know is that O occurred; that doesn't tell us anything about N. Hopefully that helps a bit, but also check out those explanations above. If it's still not clear, let me know and I'll clarify further!
Thanks!
 krosenow220
|
Definitely could not find that section, thank you SO much!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.