LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=15887)

The correct answer choice is (B)

This question asks us to determine how many students could perform fourth. Despite the use of the word “could” in the stem, this is a Must Be True question, because our job is not merely to determine who could perform fourth. Rather, we need to tally up that number, and identify what must be true about the number of people who could perform fourth.

If you made the inference that either H or F must perform fourth, answering this question would be exceptionally easy. The question would be equally easy if you made templates, which—together—prove that only two variables can perform fourth. Answer choice (B) is therefore correct.

Without either of these “crutches,” however, one can fall into a trap. The initial sequencing chain clearly shows that neither G or K can perform fourth, because each of them must precede at least two variables. If you rushed into the conclusion that any one of the three remaining variables could perform fourth, you would have made a mistake. Blocks can—and often do—restrict such placements even further. Indeed, if J were to perform fourth, the first three positions we would need to accommodate four variables—the HF rotating block, along with G and K—which is clearly impossible. Therefore, J cannot perform fourth either, bringing the total number of students, any one of whom can perform fourth, down to two.
 elyssa1
|
Hi, the PowerScore answer key for this question says that E is correct and not B, what's said here. When I did the problem, I actually got both as correct answers and can't figure out how to eliminate one of them. Can you help to differentiate the two and why E is not correct? Thank you!
 nicholaspavic
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi elyssa,

Welcome to the forum! I just want to double check and make sure that we are both on the same problem asking about who could go fourth in the program. The answer of 2 here which is Answer Choice (B) reflects that H can go into slot 4 (with F following it in their box). And also F can go into 4 with H following it. J cannot go to 4 because that would split the HF box. G and K are right out because they are leaders which makes Answer Options (D) and (E) immediately eliminated.

Thanks for the great question and I hope this helps! :-D

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.