LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

lathlee
|
I know this question is asked in one of the logical reasoning LSAT books. I know the answer is B. since it is only one that makes sense utilizing the conditional relationship stated in the conclusion.
Anyways, this is another problem i have for such questions containing more than one conditional relationships other than the conclusion conditional relationship, only after the transfer can important new therapies help patients...aka: new therapies help patients :arrow: after the transfer.

In this question stem, there is also:

It is those in the academic and government communities who engage in the long process of initial discovery and clinical testing of new therapeutic agents: ENGAGE in academic and government :arrow: discovery and clinical testing of new therapeutic agents.

I took a long time to answer this question cuz I try to figure out 1. drawing conditional reasoning on paper and 2. what the conditional reasoning of this plays what role in the question stem.

But I realize that my action of drawing of this conditional relationship nor caring what impact this would have, have absolute have no role in figuring out the correct answer.

but according to you guys' advice, whenever I see conditional relationships in the question stem, try to draw out and try to know what role they play in the question stem.

Similar phenomenon happened to me quite a few times actually a lot of times with many questions that contain more than one conditional relationships. I want to save as much time possibly can. How should I overcome such trap by the test makers.
 lathlee
|
Hi. can i get some response soon. thx
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey lathlee, you an find a complete explanation of that question here:

lsat/viewtopic.php?f=702&t=11025

Finally, as I think I may have mentioned to you in a previous post, it looks like you are trying too hard to force things into conditional relationships. Don't force it! Just follow the natural ones, the ones that either use clear indicators like "if" and "required" and "in order to", and the more subtle ones that still are easily, comfortably paraphrased as if...then statements. Not everything is a conditional relationship, and not everything that you can force into that framework needs to be viewed in that way. Conditional reasoning is typically at issue in less than 20% of all LR questions, and overdoing it will cause you unnecessary distractions, wasting your time and your effort. In this particular stimulus, the only clear, natural conditional statement is the last sentence, so start there, and only look elsewhere in the stimulus if that doesn't get you where you need to be.

Check the link above, and good luck!
 lathlee
|
Thank you so much for the answer, Adam. but I don't know how to not try too hard in making conditional relationships. lol. I am being genuine. I think you can say let it come naturally cuz u are an expert who has done many thousands of questions, therefore, comes to natural to you. I think I have done at least 100 Qs of conditional relationship to possible 1000 Qs. (probably somewhere between)
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Lathlee,

I hope you are having a great weekend! You make a good point, but remember that Adam too had to study LSAT questions and slowly develop this LSAT radar. We all did, in fact!

I have an idea that might help a bit to show you how often conditional language doesn't play a role, which should in turn help give you some perspective on when conditionality is central to solving the problem vs when it isn't. Ok, what I want you to do is note all the LR problems where a stimulus had any sort of conditional indicators at all (such as if, all, when, only, unless, must, required, etc—all the conditional indicators you've seen discussed in the books, course, here, and so forth), and then see how many times those conditional relationships were not used to solve the problem. What you should see rather quickly is that conditional language is almost everywhere on the test, but that most of the time it's not used for or needed to solve the question. That might allow you to feel more comfortable in not diagramming everything :-D

Thanks!
 lathlee
|
Thank you so much as always Dave, it was tremendous help as always

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.