LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

mandrewg
|
I had a difficult time discerning between what is considered an "assumption" versus "logical inference". I initially thought this was an assumption question, but can you speak more on the differences between what is assumed (categorically an Assumption question stem) and what can be logically inferred (which makes it an Must Be True question stem)? I feel like it's semantics and I should just accept it for what it is, but I was hoping to hear Power Score's take on the matter. Thank you!
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
This is an important question because, in common parlance, people use the word "assumption" in various ways. In the LSAT world, an assumption is simply an unstated premise that the argument requires in order for the conclusion to be properly drawn.

Think about what one means if she says in a discussion, "But that isn't necessarily true. You are assuming that x." In that scenario, the assumption x is a statement that, if factually true, would support the argument but that the person hasn't actually said or acknowledged. The speaker in my example is calling that person out for their incomplete argument.

A logical inference, on the other hand, is the act of using logic to move from a complete set of premises to a valid conclusion.
 mandrewg
|
oh, okay great! So that follows an assumption is something that goes unstated that will support the conclusion? and that a logical inference requires something that is, in fact, stated [in the stimulus and specifically premises], in order to complete the conclusion?
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Yes, I agree completely with your restatement!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.