LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

willmcchez
|
I'm really struggling on the Pure Sequencing diagramming. I really didn't greatly understand it in class the other day and assumed I would be able to master it once I got home. After all, it seemed as though everyone else in the class very logically understood it and picked up on it quickly.

I was not one of those students, but I feel (with the right information) that I will be able to break this mental barrier. I sat down and did all of the Lesson One Pure Sequencing drill homework (1-101-103) and did just fine for the most part. I logically grasped it, but on a couple of occasions I had to briefly look at the answer key to see an example of how it was diagrammed (especially on the 13 variable drill!) But I was able to diagram it on my own volition, furthermore, I was able to accurately answer all of the drill questions without any problem. But those questions were limited to which variables could come first and which could come last. What the drills DID NOT explain was how to discern the possible ordering of the entire diagram, outside of first or last

Once I got over to LG #1 for the homework (June 1991 questions 14-18), I was completely and utterly lost. I had no problem setting up the diagram, but I just can't wrap my head around answering ANY of the questions.

I know my classmates were able to look at any variable and discern the highest or lowest in the order the variable could be. I just can't understand that. At least as of now I cannot, but I do understand that it really is simple. For some reason, I just can't see how to do that.

Needless to say, today has really been frustrating and I'm hoping for some clarity!
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi willmcchez!

Happy to try to bring some clarity to the sequencing games.

First, you're right to point out that the drills focus on the extremes. As you'll see in the games, that's an important technique to master for the purpose of understanding the limits of where the other variables in the middle go. Of course, it's precisely that middle part that many of the question are going to ask about, but again, your ability to figure out those questions will be determined by what you know about the extremes.

This might be clearer if we look at the example of this actual game. I've created a rough diagram of what the six rules should look like if you put them together:

..... ..... ----- O
H ----- N /
..... ..... ----- G ----- I
K ----- J \
..... ..... ----- M

[I've tried, but I'm unable to fix this--but the (-----O), (----- G ----- I), and ( ----- M) parts should be indented to the right, so that they're to the right of the "N <" and "J <"]

For the foundation for setup of the game, you'd have 8 slots for years 1961 to 1968 listed horizontally (I always encourage test takers to diagram according to the subject matter--so if the sequencing topic was instead height/stories of a building, set up the diagram vertically)

If you look at question 14, which asks a global question about what cannot be true, we know (C) must be right. G cannot join in 1964 because the diagram shows that we know at the very least--that is, we know at the extreme--that four variables must come before G in some order (H, N, J, and K). If G joined in 1964, there would only be three available slots before it when there need to be at least four.

On question 15, we're supposed to assume that J joined in 1962, and it asks what cannot be true. If J is in 1962, we know K joined in 1961. The right answer would be (E) because O can't join in 1964. Whenever O joins, we know from the diagram that H and N must come before it (H---N---O). But if O were in 1964, there'd be no room before it for H and N, since 1961 is K, and 1962 is J. Try using the above diagram to work through the rest of the question for this game.

You'll become a lot more familiar with these concepts and games as you get to know the test better, so hopefully the sequencing games will soon not appear as intimidating. Hope that explanation helps some!
 alberto
|
Good morning its Alberto;
Please show me setup for game #1 june 1991 its an advance linear might have missed one thing not sure. Thanks.
The dates I got and the computer/printer setup yes but it fell apart after that why? And just need to know what went wrong with setup please show me respectfully requesting thanks. No again not going to show what I did I am shy and reserve and do not like public forums but I have no choice.Please, accept my reserve attitude as part of my culture heritage thank you. I await your answer. Know you busy. Good day, :) :lol:.
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Alberto!

You can find the setup for June 1991 Game #1 here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=6078.

I think you're actually referring to Game #2, though. You can find that discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=15592.

Please note that it's incredibly important that you do share your setup with us. This is not for us, it's for you — we can't help you understand what you're doing right and wrong if we can't see what you're doing first! Thanks :)
 abutz
|
Hi there! I have a really pressing question about the Pure Sequencing Games Problem Set Answer Key that is provided on my student portal for Game 1, June 1991 Questions 14-18. It states that O appears to be after K and J, but it does not have to be, and it is possible for O to be hired before K. It also says the same regarding M appearing to be after H and N, but it does not have to be, and it is possible for M to be hired before H. '

How did they ultimately determine that O DOES NOT come before K and J, and that M does not come before H and N when those are our possibilities that they have laid out? Ultimately they have determined that H or K come first, but I do not see where or how they made that logical step. And, isn't there a way to account for the M and O possibilities in a diagram?

This has me so confused! I actually got the right answers because I just determined that H or K were going to be the firsts to be hired. But then once I read the explanation completely got confused and do not know how I will determine these things in the future without an explanation.

I hope someone can take the time to respond to this! Thank you in advance!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for the question, abutz, and sorry for any confusion. I can't be sure if you're asking here only about the general explanation or if you are also looking at one of the questions, but the general explanation that O does not have to be after K is correct - the order of the first five variables could, for example, be HNOKJ. The same is true about M - it does not have to be after H and N, and the order of the first five could be KJMHN.

While O does not have to be after K, it still always has to be after H and N, so it can never be earlier than third. M can be before H but still must be after K and J, so it, too, can never be any earlier than third. K can be first, but it can also come as late as fourth in the order. Same with H. Just because O can be before K doesn't mean we ignore the other rules about O and the variables to which it is connected in the sequence!

I hope that clears things up for you. If you have a question about one of the local questions we will be glad to follow up with you on that!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.