LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

parisielvirac
|
Hi I am at the beginning of logic games lesson one.

It says for local game to create a miniature set up or diagram, but on different references it says different things so I am confused.

For each local question should we create for example the 7 slots __ ___ __ __ ___... for each variable?

or a new diagram connecting all the rules (with the lines). Or both? What is instruction?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Paris,

I think you are getting a bit confused but we can clear that up :) It's a mini skeleton diagram for that question only.

So, let say you needed to do work for question #3. I'd put this on my scratch paper:

• #3:

____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____
Then fill in variables as needed.

You don't need to rewrite rules or draw extra lines to them or anything.

I hope that helps. Thanks!
 parisielvirac
|
Thank you!
 greg160
|
It seems like in lesson 1, we didn't cover step 3 (A diagram of the variable sets) in the set up of logic games. For lesson one logic games homework, should we be making diagrams of the variable sets and inferences drawn, or should we just be relying on our rule representations to answer the questions?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the message, and welcome to the course!

The coverage of that step happens so fast, it's easy to miss. And the reason it happens fast is because it's so simple. "Diagramming the variable sets" is the same as simply writing them out. So, on every diagram we make, you'll see a list of the variables at the top, and that's what this refers to. For example, a game about "7 patients—A, B, C, D, E, F, and G—waiting in line to get a vaccine" would look like this:

• A B C D E F G 7

___ ..... ___ ..... ___ ..... ___ ..... ___ ..... ___ ..... ___
     1 .....     2 .....    3 .....    4 .....    5 .....    6 .....   7
Does that help explain this here? If not, just let me know and if not we'll add more.

Thanks!
 greg160
|
Hi Dave,

I think my question was too broad. I'm asking about, for example in your example, if we could infer from the rules that G could not be 4th in line , should we draw that out in our initial diagram by placing a G with a cross in it below slot 4? Or should we just take the time in the initial setup to diagram only the rules and not our inferences. I hope that's more clear.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.