LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is an Advanced Linear: Balanced, Identify the Templates game.

The game scenario sets up a Linear scenario of five successive solos. Because each solo has two attributes—the pianist and the type of piece—the game is an Advanced Linear game with two stacks:
PT66_J12_Game_#4_setup_diagram 1.png
The first rule establishes that the third piece is a T:
PT66_J12_Game_#4_setup_diagram 2.png
The second rule creates a TT block. However, this block is limited in the sense that it can only be TT; there cannot be three Ts in a row per the “exactly two” language of the rule:
PT66_J12_Game_#4_setup_diagram 3.png
Thus, while there can be more than two Ts in the game, they cannot appear in consecutive order.

The third rule establishes that the fourth solo is either a vertical TW or MZ block:
PT66_J12_Game_#4_setup_diagram 4.png

This rule, in combination with the first two rules, strongly suggests that the game should be attacked with two templates. Let’s complete the rule analysis, and then afterward show the two templates.

The fourth rule creates a negative Grouping relationship between the pianists playing the second and fifth solos:
PT66_J12_Game_#4_setup_diagram 5.png

This rule means that once the pianist for either the second or fifth solo is determined, the other solo must be performed by the other pianist. For example, if W performs the second solo, then Z must perform the fifth solo.

The fifth rule establishes that no T can be played until a vertical MW block occurs. The immediate result of this rule is the inference that the first piece cannot be a T, and that consequently the MW block must occur early in the recital. More on this in the template analysis, which is next.

With the five rules reviewed, let’s create two templates based on third rule:
  • Template #1: TW in fourth

When TW is the fourth solo, the second rule is satisfied, and thus the second and fifth solos must be M. Because the first solo cannot be T, all five solos are then set. The first or second solo (or both) must be performed by W in order to satisfy the requirements of the fifth rule:
PT66_J12_Game_#4_setup_diagram 6.png
  • Template #2: MZ in fourth

When an M is performed fourth, in order to comply with the requirements of the second rule a T must be performed second. The first piece is already an M (and would have to be anyway with T played second and third). The fifth piece can be an M or T.

With a T second and an M first, to meet the requirements of the fifth rule, W must play the first piece;

PT66_J12_Game_#4_setup_diagram 7.png

The only remaining active rule in both templates is the fourth rule, and thus that rule must be carefully tracked throughout the game.
 Sdaoud17
|
Hi When I did this game , I did Templates for it . I want to know if there is another faster way to do the game board , I took a picture of my board game but for some reason ,your website doesnot let me upload the attachement.
Can you help ?

Thank you
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Templates is def. the way to go with this game, based on whether Wayne performs a traditional piece or Zara performs a modern piece for the fourth solo. This combines rather neatly with the rule stating that exactly 2 of the T's are performed consecutively (TT). Furthermore, notice the last rule: you cannot have T until you've had at least one M (performed by W). This has additional implications for who performs each solo.

So, there are only two (well, technically 3) ways to order the solos by type:

M M T T M

(break this down into two templates based on whether W performs the first or the second piece, in addition to the fourth, because this affects who performs the fifth solo)

M T T M M/T

(here, W must perform the first solo, a modernist one, and Z performs the fourth solo. The rest - I wouldn't worry about. Leave them blank.)

With these three templates, the questions shouldn't take more than 3 mins tops.
 Basia W
|
Hello- this is just note for Nikki- THANK YOU for making your explanations so easy and logical to follow. Games are my weakest section and your explanations make everything so clear.

thank you!

Basia
 eober
|
Hi,

What is meant by "exactly two of the traditional pieces are performed consecutively"?

So there can only be one "TT" but there can also be single T's that are not adjacent to another T?

also when question 19 is asking about "all of the solos that are traditional" does it mean where can T go at separate instances or is it only one instance? So for example for answr choice B: is it saying T will be in 2nd, 3rd, AND the 4th or, is it saying T can go to 2nd, 3rd, OR the 4th place at different placements?

Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Your analysis of the rule is correct - exactly one instance of TT but there could be other Ts that are not adjacent. As for q19, they are asking a type of list question, limited to that one variable set. Each answer choice is a proposed complete solution for the Ts, so you can imagine the Ms in the other spaces. Keep in mind all the rules that matter here - exactly one TT, a T must be 3rd, and no T happens until at least one M (W plays an M before there are any Ts). That last rule should give you a not-law for T at the first space.

Good luck!
 ssnasir
|
Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could please clarify the fifth rule for me which is where I think I messed up. I diagrammed it as T :arrow: at least 1 WM block. I diagrammed it the way I would an LR "until" statement. I read the comments above which explained that there needs to be one WM block before T and I understand that now, but I was hoping if I could avoid this mistake in the future.

Thank you!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
"Until" does indicate a necessary condition, ssnasir, but it also has a chronological meaning that must not be ignored. If I cannot walk the dog until I put on my shoes, then not only is putting on my shoes necessary for walking the dog, it must also precede walking the dog! I have to do it first, because that is the plain meaning of the word "until."

In this case, that last rule doesn't just mean that if there is a T then there must also be a WM. It means that there must be a WM BEFORE the first T. Don't forget that these words have their own meanings in addition to whatever they are doing conditionally! For example, "if" means there is some degree of uncertainty about a condition occurring - it may occur, or it may not. "When," on the other hand, indicates certainty - it WILL occur, or it DID occur. They are both sufficient condition indicators, but they mean different things!
 ssnasir
|
Adam Tyson wrote:"Until" does indicate a necessary condition, ssnasir, but it also has a chronological meaning that must not be ignored. If I cannot walk the dog until I put on my shoes, then not only is putting on my shoes necessary for walking the dog, it must also precede walking the dog! I have to do it first, because that is the plain meaning of the word "until."

In this case, that last rule doesn't just mean that if there is a T then there must also be a WM. It means that there must be a WM BEFORE the first T. Don't forget that these words have their own meanings in addition to whatever they are doing conditionally! For example, "if" means there is some degree of uncertainty about a condition occurring - it may occur, or it may not. "When," on the other hand, indicates certainty - it WILL occur, or it DID occur. They are both sufficient condition indicators, but they mean different things!
I understand! Thank you so much!!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.