LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=6641)

The correct answer choice is (C)

Answer choice (A) is incorrect because the first piece cannot be a T in order to conform to the fifth rule.

Answer choice (B) is incorrect because it violates the second rule by having three Ts in a row.

Answer choice (C) is the correct answer, and is possible as shown in Template #1.

Answer choice (D) is incorrect because it violates the second rule by not having two Ts in a row.

Answer choice (E) is incorrect because it violates the first rule.
 karlaurrea
|
Hello… Hopefully someone can help me understand the setup to be able to see things quicker and arrive to the correct answers and the majority of the questions for the last game on the June 2012 LSAT game questions 19-23; The more I try to get the correct answers I just don’t understand how they arrive to those answers…. (Hopefully my questions and explanations do not confuse anyone)

Question 19 – I read this as if they were generalizing meaning that it was asking how many possibilities are there for the traditional pieces to be placed. I found that by diagramming in two different ways then we have 3 places – being second, third, and fourth (but that is wrong according to the answer key) this is what I did below:

Option 1:
W w/z w/z Z
M T T M __
1 2 3 4 5

Option 2:
W z/w z/w W
M _ T T __
1 2 3 4 5

So if the placement of T is possible in the second place what makes answer choice B wrong?

***I hope I have made sense, please get back to when possible, and most importantly out of this game, is I would really like to know how you would set it up on the first time to be able to see all inferences and move through the game quickly.

THANKS!!!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Karla,

I've split this into three posts, just fyi :-D This makes it easier for other to find specific info on individual questions when they are searching.

Thanks!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Ok, let's look at #19. The problem here is in the question stem itself. What they are asking about is a single lineup where all of the solos are traditional, not a listing of every single solo that could ever be traditional.

So, your two scenarios are correct (and, by the way, are a useful way to attack the game). But, as you can see in your scenarios, the traditional solos are always 2-3 or 3-4, but never 2-3-4. So, because answer choice (C) shows a scenario that could occur, it is correct.

As you probably suspect now, answer choice (B) lists three that could be traditional, but they can't all be traditional at the same time, hence this answer choice is incorrect.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 grunerlokka
|
Hi thanks for the clarification about the issue with the question stem for #19: ("What they are asking about is a single lineup where all of the solos are traditional, not a listing of every single solo that could ever be traditional.") With regards to this question stem though: how do we know exactly, that they mean within a single lineup and not a listing of all the solos that could be traditional? Is there a nuance in the question stem that I am missing? I am asking for future questions like this, it seems incredibly unfair of them to be so opaque with the phrasing!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
There are two ways to get there, grunerlokka.

The first is by looking at the language use. This language is "which of the following could be all of the solos that are traditional?" That language tells me that it's asking for one possible complete scenario. If it were asking for all possible solos in any scenario that could be traditional, I would expect language like "which one of the following is a complete and accurate list of the solos, any one of which could be traditional?" Notice that the first example we are looking for what could be an option, while in the second it is asking what IS true about the whole game.

But, if the language is tripping you up, there's another way to get there. There's can be multiple ways to get to an answer. If it was asking for all the possible slots that could be a traditional piece, we would need to see an answer that says "second, third, fourth, and fifth." We don't have that option, so we know that cannot be the correct way to read the question.

Hope that helps!
Rachael

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.