LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (E).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice.

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 Blueballoon5%
|
Could someone help me understand why B is wrong? I understand why E is correct, but I also see parts of the passage that indicate that some "know-how" is required (but only that there needs to be something more), specifically in lines 28-33. These lines indicate that a profession needs the "know-how," as well as knowledge and learning, but also needs something else.

I read this "know-how" as a minimum requirement. E.g. I might go in for a job interview and I need to at least be an adult (18+) to qualify for the job. However, in order to be hired among a large pool of candidates, I also need something else (e.g. university degree, glowing recommendations, etc.).
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Blueballoon,

The passage says starting at line 30, that medicine, law, and theology are "founded upon inquiry and knowledge rather than mere 'know-' how.'" I agree with you that this line arguably implies that all three of these "learned" professions require "know-how." However, the passage nowhere states or implies that all professions require know-how.

On a broader note, a prephrase based on the main point and themes of the passage would have led you directly to (E), saving time and making it less important to accurately decipher a convoluted line in the text. Since this is a Must Be True question, I strongly encourage you to prephrase as much as possible.

I hope this helps!
 joliekwok8@gmail.com
|
Hi,

I just wanted to clarify why answer E was the right choice outside of using process of elimination. The last part of paragraph 1 says "A profession is an activity or occupation to which its practitioner publicly professes, that is, confesses, devotion. But public announcement seems insufficient; publicly declaring devotion to plumbing or auto repair would not turn these trades into professions."

So even though publicly declaring devotion is insufficient of making a trade a profession, it is still a necessary condition because that is how the author defined it when saying "A profession is an activity or occupation to which its practitioner publicly professes, that is, confesses, devotion". Is this correct?

Thanks!

Thanks!
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi joliekwok!

Yes, your explanation sounds correct.

The first paragraph, including the lines you cited, indicates that a profession involves a public confession to being devoted to a way of life. That is, this is a necessary component of what it means for work to be considered a profession. However, the next portion of the material you cited indicates that this alone may not be sufficient to make types of work into professions.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.