LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 avengingangel
|
Why is the answer B ?? I'm so lost here. I just guessed on this question, none of the answer choices make a lot of sense to me. I was looking for something that had to do with the last sentence of the passage. Thanks.
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, avenging,

This is a difficult question, so don't stress about having trouble with it!

Expansion questions have two roles
  • 1) Extrapolate on the immediately preceding content
    2) Test your understanding of the main idea
You are correct to refer to the previous paragraph, but your work does not stop there. You must remind yourself what the main idea or primary purpose of the passage was, in this case that doctors are actually professionals because their "profession" involves some commitment to an ideal rather than just a handicraft.

Now consider what was discussed in the final paragraph:
  • What it means to be a professional
Since we now have a complete description of what it means to be a professional, relate this concept back to the main point: "Doctors are professionals because they work for the common good."

To follow this last paragraph, your prephrase could be that you are looking for something that establishes a relationship between doctors (the topic of this passage) and this description of professionals. You need to return to the main point of the passage.

Hypothetically, you could follow the last paragraph with something that emphasizes how physicians embody all the ideals enumerated in the last paragraph, but the LSAT chooses a different route: instead, a critic's viewpoint is offered. Notice the implicit and expected disagreement after answer choice B. Answer choice B is the only answer that relates back both to the preceding paragraph and the main point of the passage, so it is the credited response.
 yrivers
|
Thanks for the explanation. How is it not D? To me, D states that one of the concepts up for discussion in our current times is our efforts to discern and articulate the essential characteristics of the medical profession. I took this as the MP of the passage and chose this answer.
 Charlie Melman
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Y,

Answer choice (D) doesn't address the author's point in the last paragraph: calling yourself a doctor is an ethical act. He doesn't talk about how to define the profession, but talks about its ethical baggage. Answer choice (B) continues this theme.

Hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.