LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (C).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 cgleeson
|
I was stuck between C and D. What threw me off about choice D was that it spoke about the "evolution of a distinctive African literary language". I had originally crossed off D but I came back to it after I found myself with just C. I'm still not sure if I eliminated D the correct way, or if it was just by chance? Overall, answer choice C seemed like the main idea to me.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
It's important to prephrase the Main Point after you complete reading any RC passage, cgleeson. Ask yourself what the author is trying to prove, and what they want us to believe. This passage is entirely about Phillis Wheatley, and the main point has to be about her and what her poetry both did and did not accomplish.

Answer D pushes Wheatley to the background and makes her just a small part of some bigger idea. Also, the author made clear that Wheatley did NOT create an African American literary language, because she was completely constrained by the conventions of 18th Century English poetry. These things make D a bad answer choice.

Answer C matches our prephrase nicely. If we do that work up front, predicting the correct answer and then trusting that our prephrase is a good one, answer C should be an easy choice. Be sure to prephrase the Main Point every time!
 cgleeson
|
Thank you Adam! I need to keep practicing prephrasing...it can be difficult too sometimes. I notice with LR too.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.