LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 Mattjsd
|
Hello, I understand why A C D and E are incorrect. A, C and D are too narrow in scope, while answer E is contradicted by the passage. However when I first did this question, I eliminated answer choice B because it seemed to be exaggerated : isn't the word "usurped" in answer choice B too strong a word to describe the President's actions ?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I'd say there is support in the passage for the idea that the President had usurped some authority, if we define "usurp" as "encroach or infringe upon," rather than the stronger definitions of the word that indicate the infringement is illegal, and perhaps even if we do view it that way.

In the first paragraph the author tells us that "Congress has at last reclaimed a role in such decisions." The use of "reclaimed" supports that idea that their proper role had been taken from them by the President.

In the second paragraph, the author speaks of "Congress's tolerance of presidential discretion," which suggests to me that they were putting up with something that they did not have to accept. That also, to me, lends some support to the idea that the President was encroaching on their authority, but that they were choosing to let it slide.

Finally, in the third paragraph, the author says that the War Powers Resolution was "in accord with the intent and spirit of the Constitution" in that it required congressional involvement. This, too, supports the idea that Presidents had, until then, been acting unilaterally in decisions that should have involved Congress.

I think it's a cumulative concept that permeates the whole passage, Mattjsd, and while the answer does sound a bit strong, it's not too strong when you look at the sum of all the parts. And of course, it's better than all the other answers, even if it is less than perfect, and the best answer is always the credited answer!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.