LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Passage Discussion

VIEWSTAMP Analysis:

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 blade21cn
|
I'm quite confused about the sentence starting line 55: "Eggs laid by the overwintering adults in the spring, which develop into the summer generation of adults, are formed in early autumn and early spring." The sentence started with "eggs laid by the overwintering adults in the spring," how can they be formed both in early autumn and early spring. I thought the overwinter generation's eggs were formed in early spring only. Thanks!
 blade21cn
|
In addition, line 58, "[t]hose eggs formed in autumn are exposed to cold winter temperatures, and thus produce micropterous adults in the summer generation." I tend to think "eggs formed" has the same meaning as "eggs laid," which is about the water bugs' reproduction.

The passage has previously laid out two generations: (1) summer generation reproduce during the summer; and (2) overwintering generation reproduce in early spring. So it seems that this sentence refers to the summer generation's reproduction, which was somehow delayed to autumn, which develops into the overwintering generation and unfortunately are micropterous due to the cold winter temperatures, therefore unlikely to survive through the winter.

But my confusion is that this somehow contradicts line 22, "[t]he first hatches during the spring, reproduces during the summer, then dies." So it sounds unlikely that the summer generation would live through autumn.

Note also that the two generations might not be equal in terms of their life span. The passage makes it clear that the summer generation lives roughly half a year, yet no mentioning how long the overwintering generation would live.

Lastly, line 61 states, "[t]hose formed during the spring are never exposed to cold temperatures, and thus yield individuals with normal wings." First of all, I thought the eggs formed during the spring develop into the summer generation and such eggs WERE exposed to cold temperatures, in contrast with the eggs laid/formed in summer, which were exposed to warm temperatures. Secondly, these individuals exhibit dimorphism, not with normal wings.

This is a very confusing passage. Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.