LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Grouping: Defined-Moving, Balanced, Numerical Distribution, Identify the Templates game.

The game scenario establishes that seven sales representatives work in three zones:
PT66_J12_Game_#3_setup_diagram 1.png
Each representative must work in a zone, but the game scenario does not establish exactly how many representatives work in each zone. Thus, the rules will have to provide information on that aspect of the game.

The first rule creates a dual-option on zone 1:
PT66_J12_Game_#3_setup_diagram 2.png
Because the rule also stipulates that P and T cannot work in the zone together, a vertical not-block also exists:
PT66_J12_Game_#3_setup_diagram 3.png
Note that, although this PT not-block is limited to Zone 1 by the rule, due to the other rules this not-block applies to all zones (same for the not-block created in the next rule)

The second rule is identical in nature to the first rule, but it addresses T and U in Zone 2:
PT66_J12_Game_#3_setup_diagram 4.png
Note that, because T is common to both rules, only three basic solutions exist for satisfying the first two rules. More on this fact later in the setup.

The third rule creates a PQ block:
PT66_J12_Game_#3_setup_diagram 5.png
The fourth rule creates an SU block:
PT66_J12_Game_#3_setup_diagram 6.png

Note that the third rule can be connected to the first rule via P, and that the fourth rule can be connected to the second rule via U:

PT66_J12_Game_#3_setup_diagram 7.png
The fifth rule is numerical, and establishes that Zone 3 has more sales representatives than Zone 2. Because Zone 2 must have at least one representative (from the second rule), we can infer that Zone 3 must have at least two representatives. Because Zone 1 must have at least one representative (from the first rule), the minimum Numerical Distribution for the three zones is:

PT66_J12_Game_#3_setup_diagram 8.png
Thus, four representatives are already assigned, leaving just three representatives available for placement among the three zones. What, then, are the possible Numerical Distributions for this game based just on the numbers? To solve this problem, focus on the relationship between Zone 2 and Zone 3. First show all of the options for Zone 3 when Zone 2 has one representative, then show all of the options for Zone 3 when Zone 2 has two representatives, and so on. Remember, there are three representatives left to add to the minimums, so each solution must add up to seven.

When Zone 2 has one representative, Zone 3 can have two to five representatives (at least initially, before considering the rules):

PT66_J12_Game_#3_setup_diagram 9.png
When Zone 2 has two representatives, Zone 3 can have three or four representatives:

PT66_J12_Game_#3_setup_diagram 10.png
If Zone 2 attempted to have three representatives, then Zone 3 would have to have four representatives, which will not work since that would assign all seven representatives to Zones 2 and 3, leaving no representative for Zone 1.

Note that the 1-1-5 distribution above is impossible due to the actions of the first four rules. Because P is in a block, the only way to meet the first rule is for T to be the only representative in Zone 1. But, because S is in a block, the only way to meet the second rule is for T to be the only representative in Zone 2. Clearly, those two conditions are incompatible, and thus the 1-1-5 distribution cannot occur. Thus, these are the only five possible fixed distributions in the game:

PT66_J12_Game_#3_setup_diagram 11.png
With the Numerical Distributions in place, and the powerful limitations created by the first four rules, the best approach at this juncture is to show templates based on the possible placements of P, T, and U in the first two zones, while at the same time using the distribution information to make further inferences. These are the three base templates we will use:
  • Template #1: T in Zone 1, SU in Zone 2
PT66_J12_Game_#3_setup_diagram 12.png
  • Template #2: PQ in Zone 1, T in Zone 2
PT66_J12_Game_#3_setup_diagram 13.png
  • Template #3: PQ in Zone 1, SU in Zone 2

PT66_J12_Game_#3_setup_diagram 14.png
Of course, these templates just satisfy the requirements of the first two rules (while adding in the blocks from the third and fourth rules). Now, let’s further analyze each template in greater detail.

• Template #1: T in Zone 1, SU in Zone 2

• This template may initially appear to have no further restrictions on the placement of the remaining variables (K, M, P, and Q), but consider the options for the PQ block. When Zone 2 has two representatives, then only two fixed distributions exist: 2-2-3 and 1-2-4. Thus, the PQ block cannot be placed into either Zone 1 (as that would make three representatives) or Zone 2 (as that would make four representatives). Thus, in this template, the PQ block must be placed into Zone 3.

Further, of the two remaining representatives—K and M—at least one must be placed into Zone 3 in order to meet the requirements of the fifth rule. The remainder of K and M can then work in Zone 1 or Zone 3. The combination of this information leads to the final template:
PT66_J12_Game_#3_setup_diagram 15.png
  • Template #2: PQ in Zone 1, T in Zone 2

This template contains the greatest number of possibilities. The only restriction in this template is that the SU block cannot be placed into Zone 2 as that would result in three representatives in that zone, a violation of the numerical rules of the game. Thus, the SU block must work in Zone 1 or Zone 3. Additionally, both of K and M cannot work in Zone 2 due to the numerical limitations.
PT66_J12_Game_#3_setup_diagram 16.png
  • Template #3: PQ in Zone 1, SU in Zone 2

This template is the most restricted of the three templates. Because there are two representatives already working in Zone 2, there must be at least three representatives working in Zone 3. But, since Zone 1 already has P and Q, only K, M, and T are available to work in Zone 3, and thus we can infer that all three must work in Zone 3:
PT66_J12_Game_#3_setup_diagram 17.png
  • Thus, only one solution exists in this template.
With the three templates in hand, an understanding of the Numerical Distribution in the game, and noting the fact that K and M are randoms, we are ready to attack the questions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 Sdaoud17
|
HI can you please show me the best way to draw a game board for this game?

When I did this game I didnot do Templates I just used the Numerical Distribution rules from the last rule while Going through the questions and I only stucked on Q15.

Can you help ?

Thank you
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
For this game, I basically did all the distributions, and then analyzed the implications of putting T is Zone 1, 2, or 3. This, in turn, led to Templates. Here's the set-up:

QP :dblline: T
SU :dblline: T

Zone 3 > Zone 2

Zone 1: T/QP
Zone 2: T/SU
Zone 3: ?

Distributions:

2-1-4
1-2-4
2-2-3
3-1-3
4-1-2

The reason why I'd focus on T is that the placement of T tells us more about what happens to one (or both) of the two blocks (PQ and SU). Thus:

Template 1 (T = Zone 1)

Zone 1: T + max 1 more
Zone 2: SU (closed)
Zone 3: PQ + min 1 more

Template 2 (T = Zone 2)

Zone 1: PQ
Zone 2: T
Zone 3: ?

Because Template 2 is somewhat undetermined, it pays off to further explore where the SU block will go if T is in Zone 2. So:

Template 2a) (T = Zone 2, SU = Zone 1)

Zone 1: PQSU
Zone 3: MK

Template 2b) (T = Zone 2, SU = Zone 3)

Zone 3: SU

(M and K can go wherever they want in Template 2b, as long as Zone 3 > Zone 2)

Template 3 (T = Zone 3)

Zone 2: SU
Zone 3: TMK

I agree that you can solve most of the questions by simply referring to the distributions, but you'd need to make a few local diagrams along the way. Having these three templates obviates the need to do that.

Hope this helps!
 Erin R
|
Hi,

I had a lot of trouble with this game. I had a very difficult time setting it, and I usually do with games of this type. I was wondering if anyone could offer me advice on how to go about attacking this game, or if there is a lesson that goes over these types of games specifically.

Thanks!

Erin
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Erin R wrote:Hi,

I had a lot of trouble with this game. I had a very difficult time setting it, and I usually do with games of this type. I was wondering if anyone could offer me advice on how to go about attacking this game, or if there is a lesson that goes over these types of games specifically.

Thanks!

Erin
Hello Erin,

It's a grouping game, so read the grouping chapter again.
Without doing the whole setup for you (especially since you didn't ask for it):

Try grouping, if you have a sheet of paper (or a computer screen) P and Q together, and S and U together. Make a notation that Z3 has more than Z2. Make some double not-arrows to show that P and T don't get along together in Z1, and that T and U don't get along together in Z2. (Or could you put some of those folks directly on the diagram for each zone, maybe with a slash between them?)

Also, see if you can combine any of those rules. (I see that P and T get mentioned a lot; could that be of any importance?)

Again, reviewing the chapter on grouping should be helpful, and breaking down the game one "piece" at a time by diagramming each rule (and then seeing if the rules combine or make inferences) should be very helpful.

Hope this helps,
David
 Dajpol
|
Above, Nikki writes that T must go into zone 1 or zone 2. Why can't T go into zone 3? I get the set up of:

zone 1: QP
zone 2: SU
zone 3: MKT

Thanks!
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Dajpol,

T can certainly go to Zone 3, producing the solution indicated in your post. The hypotheticals I had written above weren't meant to be exhaustive of all possible solutions, but I'll make sure to include this solution as well. That way, we'll have a full list of relevant Templates :)

Thanks for noticing this!
 srcline@noctrl.edu
|
Hello

So I'm a bit confused on the first two rules. I had P/T :dblline: :dblline: Z1 and :dblline: T/V :dblline: Z2.
Can someone explain these two rules, the numerical distributions cleared up some confusion but these two rules are a bit of a problem for me.

Thankyou
Sarah
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sarah,

Glad to help, but I'm totally confused by your question, I think maybe because arrows are coming through in weird places. Can you try posting again, and maybe write out a bit more in addition to diagramming so we can make sure we're on the same page?
 cnoury1221
|
Hello,

With the 1-1-5 distribution "T" takes up both zone 1 and zone. Besides the explanation provided, could we say T in both zone 1 and zone 2 violates the rules set out in the stimulus?: "Each sales representative works in exactly one of the sales zones.." ? took this to mean no repeats of sales reps.

Thank you!
Carolyn

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.