LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 reop6780
|
Pg 47

Are "isolated figures"found only in bordered style made after 1890?

One thing that I was confused of throughout the reading occurs when the author starts making counter-arguments. Since i cannot expect what factors suggested by Amsden would be argued against by the author, I could not rely on the facts described by the Amsden.

I just need to be more careful when reading a passage like this to distinguish the facts supported from the rest, but are even the general facts suggested by the undermined figure usually disproved by the author as well?

I wasted my time to make sure the information about the patterns introduced in the first paragraph by Amsden is not disproved by the author.
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

The author does question much about Amsden's view, but not with the notion that "traditional banded Navajo designs were continuous and did not use isolated figures." (lines 24-25)

I believe that you have identified an important issue--in some cases it can be very difficult to prove that something is true (in the context of logic games list questions for example, it is generally much easier to rule out the offenders among the answer choices than to find the one answer choice that is allowed). In this case, the best strategy would be to rule out the answer choices that DO properly characterize Navajo weavings made prior to 1890, and select the answer choice that is left.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 reop6780
|
Yes it helped me. Thank you, Steve!
 sbose
|
Hi! I understand why D is correct, but I was wondering how you could rule out E?

I couldn't find any part of the passage that really said colors were involved before 1890. The only potential evidence I found was the last sentence of the second paragraph which says, "The Anglo desire that anything with graphic designs have a top, bottom, and border is a cultural preference that the Navajo abhorred, as evidenced, he suggests, by the fact that in early bordered specimens strips of color unexpectedly break through the enclosing pattern."

But I thought that "early bordered specimens" referred to early bordered designs, which only came after 1890.

Thank you for your help in advance!
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi sbose,

There's also a reference to color in the first paragraph when the author lists the three horizontal band styles. One of those styles is the colored stripes, indicating that those existed prior to 1890. Luckily, on your test, you'll be able to use ctrl + f in order to search for key terms in the passage. Without that, I would have looked to the first paragraph as the description of the traditional styles of weaving.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.