LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (E).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice.

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 lathlee
|
Hi. according to the answer sheet, E) is the correct answer. "The causal factors leading to the emergence of the bordered style are not as clear-cut as Amsden Suggests.

But author never made distinction of what are causal factors to the emergence of the bordered style.
 Claire Horan
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
These lines from the passage discuss the causal factors, mainly Anglo "influences" and Anglo "desire" that Amsden believes resulted in the appearance of the bordered pattern:
The bordered style appeared about 1890, and, Amsden argues, it reflects the greatest number of Anglo influences on the newly emerging rug business. The Anglo desire that (15) anything with graphic designs have a top, bottom, and border is a cultural preference that the Navajo abhorred, as evidenced, he suggests, by the fact that in early bordered specimens strips of color unexpectedly break through the enclosing pattern. (20) Amsden argues that the bordered rug represents a radical break with previous styles.
As do so many of these diversity/"harshing the critics" passages, this passage critiques the tendency of scholars to assume European or White influence accounts for developments in underrepresented or minority cultures.
 cgleeson
|
Hi,

I had a real difficult time prephrasing this passage.
1) I understand Amsen divided the Navajo weaving into 4 categories
2) The Navajo "abhorred" the Anglo influence on their style.
3) The author raises 3 questions
a) Altering artistic styles
b) Was the banded and bordered patterns as simple as Amsen said.
c) Stylistic gap
I thought the author did not agree with Amsen's thesis, however I thought that the problem lied in the rejection of Anglo culture. Any help? Thanks in advance.
Chris 8-)
 Beth Hayden
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi C,

The question asks for the central idea of the passage, so you want to zoom out and ask: "Why is the author telling me this? What are they trying to convince me of?"

Let's break down the passage from a bird's eye view:

First, the author tells us about Amsden's views on Navajo weaving. Amsdem believes that the bordered style of weaving was influenced by Anglo culture, a break from their previous styles.

Then, the author casts doubt on whether that claim is correct by raising a few questions. Couldn't the change have just been a natural evolution of their style based on the actual process of weaving? Maybe the Navajos changed their style because they exhausted their traditional approaches and wanted to branch out into something new (a constant quest for invention)? Finally, maybe it's not actually a significant style gap?

All of these points seem to be trying to convince the reader that Amsdem's theory might be wrong :longline: perhaps there were other reasons for the development of the border style. That's what answer choice (E) reflects.

Hope that helps!
Beth
 cgleeson
|
Thanks Beth! :-D
Beth Hayden wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:43 pm Hi C,

The question asks for the central idea of the passage, so you want to zoom out and ask: "Why is the author telling me this? What are they trying to convince me of?"

Let's break down the passage from a bird's eye view:

First, the author tells us about Amsden's views on Navajo weaving. Amsdem believes that the bordered style of weaving was influenced by Anglo culture, a break from their previous styles.

Then, the author casts doubt on whether that claim is correct by raising a few questions. Couldn't the change have just been a natural evolution of their style based on the actual process of weaving? Maybe the Navajos changed their style because they exhausted their traditional approaches and wanted to branch out into something new (a constant quest for invention)? Finally, maybe it's not actually a significant style gap?

All of these points seem to be trying to convince the reader that Amsdem's theory might be wrong :longline: perhaps there were other reasons for the development of the border style. That's what answer choice (E) reflects.

Hope that helps!
Beth

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.