LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 gweatherall
|
I chose A for this question, and am not sure why A should be eliminated. Also, I don't see a line referring to a "central figure dominat[ing] the surface". This one really has me baffled! I'd love some feedback. Thanks!
 Eric Ockert
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi!

Answer choice (A) is playing on the "Some studies suggest...." sentence beginning in Line 29. The author counters this suggestion in the following sentence with "In the evolution of Navajo weaving, however, no radical revisions.....need be assumed."

The correct answer can be found in Line 5 with the fourth style which includes a "distinct border surrounding centrally placed, dominating figures." The author goes on to discuss the timing of these styles, and the fourth style is described as coming after the horizontal styles.

Hope that helps!
 gweatherall
|
Thanks, Eric- this does help! And serves as a good reminder to check through the whole passage (even the beginning). I didn't check back, so I missed this one.
 lathlee
|
Hi. Thank god someone asked this question on the web; however, I Must insist ; I don't mean to be rude or mean to anyone or Powerscore but in the lesson book, it says the correct answer can be found in 50-61 which I looked and looked which I STILL cannot find an appropriate info to choose the correct answer of D)

D) Navajo weaving changed gradually from a style in which the entire surface was covered by horizontal bands to one in which central figures dominated the surface.

Line 51 to 60. : Two other styles lie between the banded styles and the bordered style. They suggest that disintegration of the bands may have altered visual and motor habits and prepared the way for a border filled with separate units. In the Chief White Antelope blank dated back to prior to 1865, ten years before the first Anglo trading post on the Navajo reservation, whole, and partial diamonds interrupt the flowing design and become separate forms.

There is no relevant information to determine "Navajo weaving changed GRADUALLY from a style....." also there is no mention of central figures dominated the surface. " from 51-60.
 lathlee
|
Yep, i just asked additional question .
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Early on, our author told us that the fourth style, which is the bordered style, features centrally placed, dominating figures. Amsden believes that this style represented a rather abrupt shift due to anglo influences, but our author is suggesting that Amsden is wrong and that the transition to a bordered style was more gradual, with two intervening styles between the banded style and the bordered style and that some evidence of the bordered style existed before the anglos arrived. Our author is suggesting that the change was more of an evolution over time than an abrupt change.
 lathlee
|
Thank you so much for answering and not giving up on me :)
 sqmusgrave
|
Hi
I'm confused because in the beginning of the last paragraph the author talks about how motor skills may have changed which altered the way for new styles. Because of this I thought A was correct. Can someone explain what that portion of the passage is actually saying and how that differs from what A is saying?
Thanks
 Luke Haqq
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi sqmusgrave!

The language from answer choice (A) sees to come from the third sentence of the third paragraph: "Some studies suggest that artisans' motor habits and thought processes must be revised when a style changes precipitously" (lines 29-32).

That is different from (A), however, even though it also mentions motor habits and thought processes. (A) states that "The styles of Navajo weaving changed in response to changes in Navajo motor habits and thought processes."

Notice that causal connection is flipped around. In the passage, it is the style change that motivates changing motor habits and thought processes. Answer choice (A), by contrast, is stating that it is the changes in thought processes and motor habits that motivate changes in the styles.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.