LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

sqmusgrave
|
Luke Haqq wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:13 pm Hi sqmusgrave!

The language from answer choice (A) sees to come from the third sentence of the third paragraph: "Some studies suggest that artisans' motor habits and thought processes must be revised when a style changes precipitously" (lines 29-32).

That is different from (A), however, even though it also mentions motor habits and thought processes. (A) states that "The styles of Navajo weaving changed in response to changes in Navajo motor habits and thought processes."

Notice that causal connection is flipped around. In the passage, it is the style change that motivates changing motor habits and thought processes. Answer choice (A), by contrast, is stating that it is the changes in thought processes and motor habits that motivate changes in the styles.
Hey, thanks for your response! However I see why that part of the passage doesn't support A. What I'm confused on is related to the first few sentences of the last paragraph which says "disintegration of bands may have altered visual and motor habits which prepared the way for a border filled with individual units".
Say in this case, X=motor and visual habits changing and Y= a new style of a border filled with separate units
To me, if X prepared the way for Y to occur, then X had some kind of causal affect on Y. It's indirect maybe, but it seems that this implies the occurrence of X has an affect on, or is in some way responsible for the occurrence of Y.

In the last paragraph, third sentence, the stimulus seems to imply:
band disintegration -> motor skill change -> a new style consisting of a border filled with separate units

So some kind of stylistic change preceded the motor habit changes, but also some stylistic changes occurred from changes in motor skills. At least...that's what it seems to say?

This is my reasoning for why I chose A and I don't understand what I'm missing here. If you could explain why this specific part of the passage doesn't say what I think it's saying/doesn't support A that would be really helpful! Thanks!
 Dana D
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey there,

The confusion you are expressing over whether the author thinks there is a clear cause and effect relationship between the altered motor habits of Navajo people and the stylistic choices used in their weaving is precisely why Answer Choice (A) is incorrect - it's not clear that the author feels like this relationship exists, and if it does, maybe it is more cyclical and natural than studies in line (30) have suggested. In line (40) the author again suggests the relationship between the banded and bordered styles might not be so simple as a cause and effect.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.