LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (C).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 avengingangel
|
How is the correct answer choice C, and not D?? I looked for evidence in the passage to prove my answer, and the passage explicitly expresses at the beginning theoretician's perspective on a phenomenon, and then the rest of the passage discusses the application of this theory in reality and varying viewpoints on it. That is exactly what D says. C doesn't mention the theory, which plays a strong role in the purpose of the passage...
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The Theoretician's perspective is important early in the passage, for sure, because it sets up the idea that perhaps the previously accepted belief about asteroid-satellite pairs might be mistaken, but is that really the PRIMARY purpose of the passage? After discussion the theory early on, we spend the rest of the passage talking about actual evidence, observations by scientists (not theoretical, but actual), and standards being set to weed out the false reports from the true ones. Answer D is just too peripheral to the whole passage, too minor an issue, to be the primary purpose. Theory sets it up, and then practice takes over and runs with it.

C captures the evolution of the idea of asteroid-satellite pairings, from at first being rejected to later being treated as respectable to currently being over-reported and in need of a set of more rigorous standards.

Hope that helps!
 avengingangel
|
Thanks, Adam - that does! Especially the part that the theory "sets up the idea," but then that "we spend the rest of the passage talking about actual evidence, observations by scientists ." Makes sense.
 yycstudent
|
Hello,

I narrowed it down to C & E but ended up choosing E.
"Among astronomers" in answer C was what steered me away as I interpreted that theoreticians also participated in the ideas of whether or not satellites of asteroids exist (they brought up the hypothesis)... Can you please shed some light on this understanding?

However, while reviewing E again, the "stars" wording seemed off... the main topic is about asteroids and the possibility of accompanying satellites. Is this the reason why E is incorrect?

Thank you for your help.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Yes, that's exactly it, yycstudent. This passage isn't about the occultations of stars generally. It's specifically about asteroids and discusses the occultation of stars as a way that we can try to determine if an asteroid has a satellite or not. In answer choice (C), the theoreticians can be theoretical astronomers and are part of the overall discussion of the development of astronomical knowledge and ideas related to asteroids and satellites. Answer choice (C) best describes the function of the whole passage.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.