LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Zarie Blackburn
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (C).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 Jxc
|
I do not know why D is wrong. I think D also focuses on the group and individual like life passages and life history.Thank you very much :lol:
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jxc

This question is asking for an example of a life-history, which are more personal, individual narratives, and a life-passage, which deal with organizations/societies more broadly. The issue with answer choice (D) is that both its examples deal with society more broadly, which jibes with the definition of life-passages given in paragraph 1: they “emphasize the requirements of society, showing how groups socialize and enculturate their young in order to make them into viable members of society."

Contrast this with (C), which contains an example of a life passage (the description of training and maintaining discipline within the military organization) and an example of a life-history (the soldier's individual narrative about his personal reaction to military life).

Hope this clears things up!
 cgleeson
|
Hi,
This parallel question confused me. I really liked C, however the question states the contrast between life-passage and life histories. I’m thinking this should be in that order which is why I dismissed C even though it really is the best fit. I thought D addressed the life passage concept first then went on to the life history. Me thinking an inherent order. Ironically I think I read in the Reading Comp Bible 2020-2021 not to pay attention to order. I should've remembered the book.
I know D wasn't the greatest answer but why not?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Chris 8-)
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I'll refer you back to what James said in this thread about the problem with answer D, where he explained that both of the examples in that answer are about broad ideas rather than one of them focusing on a more personal, individual view.

You're correct about order not mattering for Parallel Reasoning, which is why answer C is perfect despite the fact that the question mentioned life passages first and the answer gives the parallel to life histories first. They almost certainly did that on purpose just to distract you and make the right answer look bad!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.