LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Zarie Blackburn
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (C).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 niki
|
Hi, I'm having difficulty understanding what the difference between answer choice A and C are.

more or less and unpredictable seem very similar to me.

Thanks
 AthenaDalton
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Niki,

Thanks for your question! Answer choices (A) and (C) are very similar, but (C) is a better choice since it parrots the relevant part of the passage almost word-for-word.

This question asks us what Fridja's law says about emotional responses to events. This law states that "emotions are elicited only by events appraised as real, and the intensity of these emotions corresponds to the degree to which these events are appraised as real."

The correct answer choice, (C), uses this exact phrasing: "more or less intense depending on the degree to which the person perceives the event to be real."

By contrast answer choice (A) gets a bit looser with its phrasing, describing emotions as "unpredictable," depending on the perceived reality of the event.

So the main difference between (C) and (A) is "more or less intense" as compared to "unpredictable."

In looking at Fridja's law in the passage, Fridja uses precise, almost mathematical language to describe the expected emotional response to an event. The more "real" an event is perceived to be, the greater the emotional response, and vice versa. An event that is solidly in reality will produce an intense response, and a fictional event will produce a very weak response.

Fridja doesn't say that a person's emotional response will be unpredictable -- she seems pretty confident that her formula works. Given the certainty of her language, the precision in answer choice (C) is the best answer.

If Fridja's law stated something like, "we cannot know how a person will react emotionally to an event," the description of "unpredictable" would be a better fit.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. :) Good luck!

Athena
 niki
|
thank you so much for this detailed response, it really helped!
 Khodi7531
|
I got 10 right and was able to knock A and B off for the reasons of unpredictable and can't distinguish, respectively.

But the direct quote you pulled is not where I got C's support from. I got it from 25-30, where it says frijda's law is to explain all emotional reactions....talking about objects and events.

It took a really long time for me to break down what that area was saying to get to C and confidently chose it to be honest. But I can't see why the first sentence supports the question being asked. First sentence talks about where emotions are governed by and elicited. Isn't that different from responses?
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Khodi,

The emotions being elicited, as described in the first sentence, are synonymous with the emotional responses to events being described in this question stem. As such, the key support for answer choice (C) comes from the first sentence, as Athena noted above.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.