LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Zarie Blackburn
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 gweatherall
|
I very much don't understand why D isn't right. Memory is mentioned in line 39 in relation to Gombrich, and is not mentioned in relation to Radford. Why B??
 AthenaDalton
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi gweatherall,

Since this question stem asks us to identify the one statement which is not supported by the passage, I'm going to have difficulty explaining why answer choice (B) is correct -- there just isn't support for it in the passage! :-D For example, we don't receive any information in the passage about what a majority of psychologists think about irrationality, so we have no support for whether Radford or Gombrich is closer to the majority approach. The best way to select (B) as the right answer is to work our way backwards by process of elimination, discarding every answer choice that has support in the passage.

Answer choice (D) is supported in the passage (and is therefore an incorrect answer choice). You correctly honed in on lines 39 - 46, which state Gombrich's view that emotional responses to art trigger memories of emotions, while Radford disagrees with this memory approach altogether. Answer choice (D) says that Gombrich's argument rests on a notion of memory in a way that Radford's does not. We have direct support for this in the passage. Therefore we can eliminate (D).

I hope this makes sense. Good luck studying!
 gweatherall
|
Hi Athena,

Well, this is embarrassing! I simply missed the "except" there! Yikes- but a good reminder to never do this again.

Thanks so much!
Grace

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.