LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Zarie Blackburn
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (E).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice.

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 yrivers
|
Could you please explain why E is correct? In particular, I'd be also curious to find out why A and the other options are wrong.

Also, the one thing that caught me off guard is that the passage states, "government agency CAN itself designate a contract as administrative by..." whereas the answer says "it contains". These are different in my eyes since it's it can vs. it does. Please let me know. Thank you!
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The best evidence for choice (E) can be found around lines 36- 39, when the author states that a French government agency can designate a contract as administrative by adding "certain terms not found in private civil contracts."

I'm not sure where you see evidence for choice (A), so let me know and I'll help you deal with that one. Right now, I see absolutely no evidence of any of those answer choices in the passages.

As to your second question, question 4 specifies what happens when the French government has already designated something as an administrated contract. The passage told us that the government can do this and question 4 asks us to identify what happens when the government does.
 yrivers
|
I selected A from my brief recollection of the language in lines 42-45, but later realized the second half of the answer is incorrect.

Thank you!
 yrivers
|
Makes sense now, thanks!
 Blueballoon5%
|
Hello! I hope you can help me with this question. I am confused as to why answer choice A and C is wrong.

For answer choice A, I found it supported by lines 39-47 in the passage. For answer choice C, I found it supported by lines 31-35. Why are these answer choices not supported by these lines in the passage?

Similarly, answer choice E (the correct answer) is supported by lines 36-39. Why is this correct, while answer choice A and C are wrong?

Thanks so much!! :)
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi BlueBalloon,

Answer choice (A) states that if a contract is designated as 'administrative' by the French government, then it requires the government to pay for any unanticipated increases in delivery costs. This is required only "in the event that the government unilaterally modifies the terms of the contract." Choice (A) states that the government required to pay whether it unilaterally modifies the contract or not.

Answer choice (C) states that a French government designated administrative contract must be ratified via statute. The lines you cited only tell us that some administrative contracts are designated "administrative via statute. The following lines give us an alternative approach to designating contracts as "administrative."

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
 Blueballoon5%
|
Fantastic explanation Francis! I completely missed the changes in language from the passage to the answer choices. Thank you! I will look out for the subtle changes in the future!!
 na02
|
I chose B and am trying to figure out the difference in language with E. Perhaps terms = NOT guarantees? Or contracting government = NOT contractor?
Would anyone clarify this further?

Many thanks!
 Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
na02,

The difference is that (B) identifies an element that is not usually in a private civil contract, without stating that the document is no longer a private civil contract.

Whereas (E) states that the document is no longer a private civil contract.

Lines 35-40 indicate that (E) is the correct response.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.