LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Zarie Blackburn
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (A).

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 avengingangel
|
Why is the answer choice A and not B? I was going between the two and ultimately chose B. Is it because administrative contracts are not a necessarily a solution to a problem, but more a position on an issue ?? Please elaborate on that.

Also, I liked B because it said inherent -- in passage two the author describes administrative contracts as being something other than the way they are defined by government's freedom advocates in the first paragraph, thus not serving their purpose.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Absolutely right, Angel - there is no solution offered to any problem here, just an analysis of a position (that of the folks who believe in the French approach). The purpose of the passage is to show why that approach is incorrect, and we have a two-pronged argument against it. The French approach is not a solution , but is in fact a problem itself - it solves nothing and makes the problem (uncertainty when contracting with a developing country) seemingly greater.
 Lsat180Please
|
Can you please discuss why D is incorrect? I often find myself stuck on these types of question in RC the "primary purpose" questions. Can you please advise the best way to attack these questions? thank you!
 Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
LSAT180Please,

Answer Choice (D) is incorrect because the position under attack is whether governments possess the power to terminate their own contracts, not whether that is a good idea or risk-free. It does seem that the proponents of that position have also recommended a course of action, but it is the legal basis of the course of action that the author claims is flawed. His critique doesn't talk about risks.

The way that we approach reading comprehension is to read for viewpoint, structure, tone, arguments, and main point. Before reaching the question, I would have noted that the author introduces a legal theory and then spends the rest of the passage criticizing that theory. Although I might have kept (A), (B), and (D) as contenders, I would pretty quickly pick (A) because the author explicitly states that he is showing us why the legal argument is flawed, a sentence or word I would have marked.
 cgleeson
|
Hi,

I really liked A a lot however, the part about "support of a position" threw me for a loop. I was stuck on A, B & D. I dumped B and had trouble pulling the trigger on A or D. Answer choice A mentions the flaws just like in the passage, I thought LSAT test makers were trying to trick me :lol:
Thank you.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Perhaps the simplest way to arrive at answer A, cgleeson, would be to start with a prephrase. This passage fits nicely into a very common (perhaps THE most common) Reading Comp structure: "Some people say something, but they are wrong, and here's why."

Over and over again, passages follow this basic structure. The author goes about showing why some position held by someone else is incorrect in some way. Sometimes the author offers a different position, and sometimes they just find problems with the stated position. We see this on a micro scale in many LR questions, too, and the common thread is that the conclusion/main point is "those people/that position is wrong."

With that in mind, it's easy enough to prephrase the primary concern here: to show that the position advanced in the first paragraph by "advocates of governments' freedom to modify or terminate such agreements" is wrong. Answer A matches this perfectly! The advocates are arguing in favor of a certain position regarding Administrative Contracts, and the author points out flaws in that argument.

Familiarity with the common structures like this one can go a long way towards helping us form our prephrases and more quickly and confidently select correct answers. The best way to gain that familiarity is to read lots and lots of RC passages and look for the commonality between them, so keep up the good work and find those patterns!
 cgleeson
|
Thank you Adam. This makes a lot of sense.

Chris 8-)
Adam Tyson wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:43 pm Perhaps the simplest way to arrive at answer A, cgleeson, would be to start with a prephrase. This passage fits nicely into a very common (perhaps THE most common) Reading Comp structure: "Some people say something, but they are wrong, and here's why."

Over and over again, passages follow this basic structure. The author goes about showing why some position held by someone else is incorrect in some way. Sometimes the author offers a different position, and sometimes they just find problems with the stated position. We see this on a micro scale in many LR questions, too, and the common thread is that the conclusion/main point is "those people/that position is wrong."

With that in mind, it's easy enough to prephrase the primary concern here: to show that the position advanced in the first paragraph by "advocates of governments' freedom to modify or terminate such agreements" is wrong. Answer A matches this perfectly! The advocates are arguing in favor of a certain position regarding Administrative Contracts, and the author points out flaws in that argument.

Familiarity with the common structures like this one can go a long way towards helping us form our prephrases and more quickly and confidently select correct answers. The best way to gain that familiarity is to read lots and lots of RC passages and look for the commonality between them, so keep up the good work and find those patterns!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.