LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Passage Discussion

VIEWSTAMP Analysis:

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 cmorris32
|
Hi PowerScore!

I watched the webinar https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/readin ... tic-tests/ on Reading Comprehension skills tests, and I am currently trying to work on the Comprehension Test, to see if I am summarizing the correct things while reading the passage.

I was wondering if someone could look over my summary notes, and tell me if there is anything big that I am missing, or that I should have been looking for in the passage and did not note?

Paragraph 1:
Performances of early music movements, which raise profound/troubling questions, perform work original to the time of its composition. The character of the work has changed from medieval/baroque to 18th-19th century compositions.
Author's viewpoint: early music movement may be troubling, not sure if we support
Advocates' viewpoint: must perform original to composition time

Paragraph 2:
Advocates' viewpoint: composers only write music for instruments currently available
Author's viewpoint: there is evidence that the above is not true; to play Beethoven with a piano that Beethoven had would not be what he wanted to achieve
Example: Beethoven wrote music notes that were not possible with instruments at the time --> very high and low notes, F-sharp

Paragraph 3:
Author's viewpoint: early music advocates separate music & performance; performances simply change
Example: there were pauses in between each section of Mozart's and Beethoven's symphonies to allow for applause

Overall:
Main Point: Early music movement, advocating for performing work as it was at its time of composition, would not necessarily work with certain works, such as the work of Beethoven or Mozart.
Purpose: to describe the shortcomings of the early music movement

Thank you in advance for any advice! :-D

- Caroline
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Looks good, Caroline! I think you've caught all the important ideas in the passage. My only concern is that your final analysis is too focused on "certain works," when the main idea is broader than just those works. The author seems troubled by how far overboard the entire movement has gone, and those examples are just meant to illustrate that broader point.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.