LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 na02
|
I'm having trouble how I can infer D from the passage. I can't seem to find the evidence :(
I chose B with uncertainty.

Many thanks!
 Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Nao2,

Lines 33-53 discuss the fact that it was not customary for Chinese women to be treated by male physicians.
 TZHUUMD22
|
Hello Powerscore,

So the evidence here being "physical modesty?" I only found explicit claims on how female physicians could attend women patients without offending any of the accepted conventions of female modesty.

Thanks!

T
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi TZ,

The two primary supports for answer choice D in the passage are lines 36-38 ("A woman physician could attend women patients
without offending any of the accepted conventions of female modesty."), and lines 46-50 ("The presence of women
physicians in Canton mission hospitals led many Chinese women to avail themselves of Western medicine who might otherwise have failed to do so because of their culture's emphasis on physical modesty.").

From the first reference, we can make a relatively secure inference that a male physician attending women patients would have offended the accepted conventions of female modesty in Canton. And from the second reference, we can again make the relatively secure inference that conventions of modesty affected (at least somewhat) women's willingness to seek out medical care from a male physician.

Putting those two together, it's not a stretch to say the passage suggests that the treatment of a female patient by a male physician was not the custom in Canton.

I hope this helps!

Jeremy

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.