LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (A).

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 Etsevdos
|
I understand why A is correct. Is B incorrect because "refuting" never occurs? What else (if anything) is worn with B?
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Etsevdos,

Yes, the lack of a refutation is one of the reasons that (B) is incorrect. (B) refers to a more straightforward argumentative structure that many reading comprehension passages and all of the logical reasoning stimuli employ, while the passage here is much more descriptive than argumentative (although elements of argumentation are present).

Hope this helps!
 Etsevdos
|
James Finch wrote:Hi Etsevdos,

Yes, the lack of a refutation is one of the reasons that (B) is incorrect. (B) refers to a more straightforward argumentative structure that many reading comprehension passages and all of the logical reasoning stimuli employ, while the passage here is much more descriptive than argumentative (although elements of argumentation are present).

Hope this helps!
Thanks - Yep!
 Adeline
|
Dear PS team,

I hesitated between answer choice A and E.
Could you further explain why E is incorrect?

My thinking process was: the development is an increasing need for women physicians in Canton which led to increasing opportunities for Western and Chinese women. The drawbacks and advantages were described starting in line 17 (before the formation...) which discussed the male-dominated situation at that time and how the women society overcame it. There were positive outcomes for the development of both Western and Chinese women. The only thing I was not sure was the use of the phrase "the outcome is predicted," since it looks more like an illustration of a natural outcome of the previous development instead of a "prediction" of the author's. Is this last bit the reason why E is incorrect? or did I miss anything in the analysis above?

Could you help me figure this out? Thank you!
 Brook Miscoski
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Adeline,

The clearest reason why (E) is wrong is that it states that the passage makes a prediction. The passage does not make any prediction; everything discussed is historical. The last paragraph of the passage is still talking about outcomes in a historical sense (19th century means the 1800s)--we know that those things happened, so they are not predictions.

Another reason to eliminate (E) is that the passage used the word "advantages" not in a pros-and-cons sense but instead to explain why women physicians were able to do work in China. The passage didn't discuss disadvantages of having women physicians. In general, you should be aware that it is extremely unlikely that an LSAT passage would discuss the disadvantages of the advancement of a historically underprivileged group--it would be anathema to the LSAT approach to those issues.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.