LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Question Line Reference
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=11409)

The correct answer choice is (B)

The justification for the correct answer can be found on:

(lines 53-60)

The author states in the final paragraph that the Cherokee’s behavior/cultural evolution in the 1820s was shaped to a certain degree by prior outside influences.
 reop6780
|
I was confused between answer B and C. ( I chose C and the correct answer is B)

Is answer C due to limitation of description by stating only "missionaries" when the stimuli from line 56 describes the influence of "White resident traders ...missionaries" ? - hence missing out "White resident traders."

If it is so, do "must be true" questions have to include whole concepts to make certain answer correct? - is it wrong to say "cats are annoying" when the stimuli describes that "cats and dogs are annoying"?
 Jacques Lamothe
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey reop6780,

You are right about the problem with answer choice (C). But the problem is not that the answer choice does not contain the entire concept; the problem is that the influence of missionaries before 1820 is never mentioned in the passage. Line 56 talks about white traders and neighbors and the earlier passage talks about missionaries arriving around and after 1820, but nothing suggest that missionaries were there during earlier times.

So using your example, you can say that "cats are annoying" if the stimulus says "both cats and dogs are annoying." However, you cannot say that "orange cats are annoying" if the stimulus only says "both red dogs and red cats are annoying." The issue here is that the author only mentions missionary activity after 1820, not before that time.

I hope this helps!
Jordan
 reop6780
|
I understand it now. Answer C would have been right if it stated "earlier contacts with White resident traders and neighbors," right?
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
reop6780 wrote:I understand it now. Answer C would have been right if it stated "earlier contacts with White resident traders and neighbors," right?
Hello,

That looks right.

David
 Blueballoon5%
|
What is the difference between answer B and C. They both seem to suggest the same thing, which is that the Cherokee acculturation of the 1820s may have stemmed from early missionary work.
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello!

For number 17, C is more specific than B, and includes incorrect information. B does not specify the source of the "already existing process;" C, on the other hand, says that it was the result of earlier contacts with missionaries, but the text says it was due to contact with resident traders and neighbors.

Hope that helps!
 egarcia193
|
Can someone explain why E is wrong I chose B the correct answer but I was really stuck between B and E and I can't come up with a good answer as why E would be wrong only that B seemed a bit better than E.
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
One specific flaw that answer choice (E) commits is the chronology. The author states that "White resident traders and neighbors" were an earlier influence than missionaries. According to line 56, these white traders were active in the eighteenth century. Answer choice (E) places this influence in the 1820's, which we cannot prove: we know that these white traders influenced the Cherokees before missionaries in the 1820's, but we do not know if they were still active during this decade.

More broadly, describing Cherokee acculturalization as "primarily a result" of White traders takes the agency away from the Cherokees themselves. The author seems to agree with McLoughlin's belief that the Cherokees themselves "actively and continually reshaped their culture." To say that "White traders" were the primary reason for Cherokees acculturalizing is very close to the out-dated view that the author wants to correct.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.