LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Question Line Reference
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=11409)

The correct answer choice is (D)

The justification for the correct answer can be found on:

(lines 46-49)

We are told in the third paragraph that the Cherokee Council had a certain degree of influence (along with the Cherokee elite) in determining how the Cherokee nation would respond to the actions and influence of the White settlers.
 allisonellen7
|
I am struggling to understand why D is correct, and how you can determine that the Cherokee council did not have complete autonomy in governing the Cherokee Nation. I don't see how the Fact Test would apply to this, because I don't see anywhere in the text where it confirms that the council did or did not have full autonomy. Thanks in advance!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Allison,

The passage begins by outlining a position it says is mistaken: "This view was based on the assumption that the end of a Native American group's economic and political autonomy would automatically mean the end of its cultural autonomy as well." Now, the assumption that McLaughlin, and the author of the passage, both agree is flawed here is that the end of economic and political autonomy would result in the end of cultural autonomy. It's the result that did not necessarily follow; political autonomy DID end, but its end didn't result in the loss of cultural autonomy that some people thought would occur.

Because the council had to accept some of what the federal government was doing, it did not have complete autonomy.

Robert Carroll
 allisonellen7
|
Thank you so much!
 diwil
|
Hello,

I selected D, because it was the best option, but I don't see where in the text it says that Cherokee didn't have complete autonomy. I assumed I could argue that they didn't have complete autonomy because they were influenced in their economic choices, for instance, when US government promoted switching from hunting to agriculture... But other than that I don't see anywhere it mentions partial or complete or no autonomy. Am I missing anything or my reasoning is correct?

Thanks you in advance!

Diana.
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
diwil wrote:Hello,

I selected D, because it was the best option, but I don't see where in the text it says that Cherokee didn't have complete autonomy. I assumed I could argue that they didn't have complete autonomy because they were influenced in their economic choices, for instance, when US government promoted switching from hunting to agriculture... But other than that I don't see anywhere it mentions partial or complete or no autonomy. Am I missing anything or my reasoning is correct?

Thanks you in advance!

Diana.
Hi Diana,

Thanks for the post! I believe you and I spoke over the phone yesterday regarding some confusion about how the numbers match up with your course book.

Did our conversation clarify this particular LSAT question for you, or did you still have questions about this one?

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.