LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 reop6780
|
Pg 51

I got this one right by choosing answer B but was confused with answer E.

Answer B is supported by the lines of 22-26.

At the same time, answer E appeared to be supported by the lines of 32-36, "Additionally. .sell their lands back to the tribe." Especially when the author makes counter-argument on the rational that free alienability would encourage transfer of land to non-Native Americans, E seemed to be supported to me.

Could anyone tell me what makes answer E clearly a wrong answer?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

In that one, answer choice (E) claims that immediately before the Dawes act, most Native Americans were unwilling to sell their land to non-Native Americans.

The lines you referred to provide reasons that the arguments from the previous paragraph do not apply to transfers among Native-Americans themselves. This does not suggest that the people were unwilling to deal with non-Native Americans.

I hope that's helpful--please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 lsatdaily
|
Hello Powerscore,

I had B & C as contenders but chose C because of line 35 - 36 "free alienability would have allowed allottees to sell their lands back to the tribe" Can you please explain?

Thank you in advance!
Annie
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Annie,

That same sentence you quoted starts off with "if communal land use remained preferable to Native Americans after allotment," so the scope of that line is not the same as the question, which concerns conditions before the Dawes Act/allotment. Because the passage doesn't contain much information about life before allotment, the only inferences we can make about living conditions before the Dawes Act come from that allotment themselves. And only (B) makes sense, in that there would be no need to give land to Native Americans if they already owned it in their own names.

Hope this clears things up!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.