LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Passage Discussion

VIEWSTAMP Analysis:

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 rjhyman
|
Hi! I got question #8 incorrect for this passage but the rest of the questions correct somehow?! Could someone explain the VIEWSTAMP for this passage so I can see where I went wrong with the main point? I have heard some people do these main point questions last so they have a better grasp on the text, does Powerscore have an opinion on this approach?

After reviewing this question, I think D is correct because this entire passage is describing how the critics have a flawed interpretation of Webster's tragedies and the author offers an alternative way of understanding Webster's tragedies so they make more sense to critics (and us).
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi rj,

Here's my overall ViewStamp analysis of this passage.

Viewpoints: Overall, we have the author's viewpoint that the character contradictions are purposeful, the critic's viewpoint that the contradictions are inconsistencies in writing that don't fit the expected morality play structure, Webster's viewpoint that relies on not just Elizabethian influences but also Italian dramas that are more morally complicated.

Structure: Introduces a criticism of Wagner regarding his characters' contradictions, comparison of Elizabethan morality plays and Wagner's characters, and suggested reasoning for Wagner's view.

Tone: Appreciative of Wagner's work and perspective, critical of traditional critics

Argument: The complexity of Wagner's characters has been overlooked by traditional critics who assumed he was writing morality plays as his contemporaries were. This rigid analysis limited their ability to see the depth of characterization Wagner used in his plays.

Main Point: Wagner's critics overlook the depth and messaging of Wagner's characters by limiting their analysis to Elizabethan styles and forms.

Overall, I would say that I wouldn't suggest skipping the main point question at all. You should have a clear idea of the main point of the passage before you look at any of the questions, otherwise you'll find that your accuracy on all the questions would be limited. Generally, when folks struggle with the main point question, I find that they aren't focusing enough on the structure of the passage in the read-through, and haven't sufficiently prephrased. The answer choices are not there to help you find the correct answer. If you don't have a clear idea of the main point before looking at the answer choices, it will be a bear to find the correct answer choice.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.