LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 tetsuya0129
|
Hi Powerscore staff,

I lingered long between B and D when taking this section. I know B is definitely wrong for mentioning "authored" (instead of "independently authored"). But I am keen to understand whether there are other red flags in B?

On the other hand, D was not my favorite for it (Ln. 58-60) appears to be ONE PART of the author's answer to the passage's main thesis (in the first paragraph Ln. 5-9.) The author also mentioned close analytic reading should be reserved for independently authored texts (Ln. 56-57). Thus, my prediction about the main point of this passage was to a choice that covers the content from Ln. 56-60. So I don't really see why the last sentence itself can be deemed as the main point.

Would you help explain my two questions, please? Thank you very much.

Leon
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for asking, Leon! My problem with answer B is the phrase "less valuable." While the author clearly thinks that dictated narratives and self-written autobiographies are not literary equivalents, I read that as meaning they are not the same thing as each other, but the author does not clearly devalue one or elevate the other. This author isn't saying that one is better or worse, but only that they cannot be read and understood in the same way as each other, and former requires a different level of attention and scrutiny.

As to your second question, it seems to me that answer D DOES cover the entirety of lines 56-60. That answer choice is not solely about dictated narratives or solely about self-written works, but about ALL autobiographies, and the author is saying that any attempt to analyze and understand one must take into account whether it was self-written or collaborative. I think that answer is more comprehensive than you may have given it credit for.

I hope that helps! Keep up the good work!
 jackielsat
|
Could you please explain why E is wrong?
E states in the first paragraph that the narratives by African American writers between 1760-1865 raises concerns
 katehos
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jackielsat, thank you for your question!

Simply put, (E) is too narrow. The passage discusses narratives from the 1930s, in addition to those from 1760-1865. So, even though (E) is likely true, it does not fully encapsulate the main point and can be eliminated!

I hope this helps :)
Kate

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.