LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 deck1134
|
Hi PowerScore Staff,

I wanted to ask about this question because I was easily able to eliminate A, C, and E. That left B and D. While I immediately rephrased: "It is an example of what he is talking about, namely a mistaken emphasis in autobiography." But that would imply D as well, namely that the traditional approach is wrong. How do we choose between those two answers?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Good question, Deck! Here's the path to solving your dilemma: ask yourself, in regards to answer D, what the traditional approaches are to the analysis of autobiography. Not just autobiography of African American ex-slaves dictated to editors, but ALL autobiography, because that is what answer D is about. Then, ask yourself what the author thinks is wrong with those traditional approaches to ALL autobiography.

As you can probably guess from my emphasis here, I'm skeptical that you will find any information about those traditional approaches, or anything from the author criticizing something so broad. Instead, you'll find the author talking about problems with analysis of a very narrow subset of autobiographies, and a misplaced emphasis on the integrity of the editors instead of on their ability to convey the subject's tone and language, and on the truthfulness of the subjects who may have had reason to distort their views in relating their stories.

When you have it down to two contenders, try matching the abstract language of the answer choices to the specific details of the passage. You'll often find that one answer falls apart under closer scrutiny.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.