LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Question Line Reference
(See the complete passage discussion here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=11038)

The correct answer choice is (D)

The justification for the correct answer choice can be found on:

(All)

The prephrase for this question would be about the same as for question #6 above. Answer choice (A) is inaccurate, as there is no critique of gray marketers’ motives, answer choices (B) and (C) focus on smaller points within the passage, and answer choice (E) is never discussed. Answer choice (D) is correct because it is accurate according to the passage, and the overall most all-encompassing answer choice.
 WillWork918
|
Where in the passage does it present itself to be controversial? I acknowledge that there are points of friction as pointed out in question #7 ("Justifiably Argue") however nothing struck me as controversial.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You may be interpreting the concept of "controversial" a little too narrowly, WillWork918. If there are some people engaged in it, with others arguing against it, that alone is a "controversy." Throw in the fact that the courts have three different regulatory schemes for dealing with it, which have different results depending on which scheme is applied, which makes things unpredictable and confusing, and I think there are plenty of elements present to support the idea that the practice is controversial. It's certainly not something settled, accepted, and lacking in consequence, which would be the opposite of controversial, right? Perhaps the debate here isn't all that intense, but it is still public (because the courts are conflicted about how to deal with it).

Consider what your prephrase was, or should have been, for this question, and whether another answer is a closer match to that prephrase. Don't reject an answer because it is less than perfect, but rather embrace the answer that is better than the other four choices!
 kmaragh
|
For number 8, can you explain why C is incorrect? I don't see why D is right.
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi kmaragh,

I have moved your post to the thread discussing #8. Please review the above explanation and discussion, and let us know if you have any additional questions. Thanks!
 parisielvirac
|
why is C incorrect?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Keep in mind the wording of the question stem, parisielvirac. They are asking for the function of the passage as a WHOLE, and that means the correct answer must be comprehensive enough to cover all the important ideas in the passage (much like a good Main Point answer should).

Answer C is a great description of the function of the final paragraph, but what about everything that came before that point? What about providing us with an explanation of the topic and the fact that some parties argue, including the author, against it? That's what's wrong with answer C - it is too narrow and fails to encompass the entire passage.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.