LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (D).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 Sdaoud17
|
How D is the Answer ? I dont see that he is summarizing instead he is Arguing. E looks right to me. there is argument about the medical Benefits .

Can you Explain , Thank you
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
In that one, the author summarizes several of the pros, from the rDNA proponents, and then follows up by summarizing several of the concerns of the critics. This is more of an even-handed summary than an argument for or against.

I hope that's helpful! Let me know--thanks!

~Steve
 KSL
|
Hello,

I am curious as to why A is not correct. The Reason I did not pick D was because it only mentions the controversy. I felt the passage also went into a good explanation of the benefits/possible uses which is why I discarded D (as a correct but not capturing the full scope of the passage kind of answer) and selected A
Instead.
 James Finch
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi KSL,

This is a Primary Purpose question, not a Main Point, so we're looking for why the author is writing this passage. This can usually be inferred from the main point, which is here is located in the last paragraph. It is a warning about the possibilities of rDNA, of which both the pros and cons are discussed in the preceding paragraphs. So I would prephrase something along the lines of "the purpose is to explain the possible merits and dangers of rDNA technology."

(A) is essentially half-right: the passage is concerned with the process and application of rDNA, but it fails to tell us why the author is concerned with them (the possible dangers). The answer to the "why?" is what primary purpose questions are looking for.

Contrast this to (D), which, while vague ("controversy") does encapsulate the reason the author would take pen to paper or fingers to keyboard and write this piece. They want to explain both the potential benefits and dangers of rDNA, allowing readers to make informed choices as to whether to continue with experiments modifying it.

Hope this clears things up!
 am2gritt
|
KSL wrote:Hello,

I am curious as to why A is not correct. The Reason I did not pick D was because it only mentions the controversy. I felt the passage also went into a good explanation of the benefits/possible uses which is why I discarded D (as a correct but not capturing the full scope of the passage kind of answer) and selected A
Instead.
I too had this thought process.

How can you differentiate between what is the main point vs the primary purpose of a given passage? Wouldn't both a main point and a primary purpose question be searching for the why?

In addition the thought process above, I also noted that the author spent 2 paragraphs describing the process of rDNA, 2 paragraphs presenting its potential benefits, and two paragraphs discussing the potential risks. As such, why is it that primary purpose is summarizing the controversy (answer D) vs answer A that encompasses the whole passage?

Thanks in advance!
 Christen Hammock
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi am2gritt!

Answer Choice (A) is wrong precisely because it is so broad! Just saying that the author explains the process and applications of rDNA technology leaves out a key portion of the passage—explaining the controversy surrounding applying rDNA technology (including summarizing the arguments of "opponents" and "proponents"). You're right that the passage includes background information about the development and application of the technology, and this is where the "primary purpose" element of the question stem comes into play. That background information is important, but it's really just supporting meat of the passage, which is to explain the controversy!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.