LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (C).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 chian9010
|
From line 44 to line 50, the article mentions that to the English, constitution means the whole body of law and legal custom formulated since the beginning of the kingdom so why answer choice A is incorrect?
 Jennifer Janowsky
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Although line 45 talks about what the word "constitution" meant to the English versus the colonials, it doesn't clearly specify their difference in attitudes.

Rather, the attitude differences between the two are discussed earlier, starting with line 25: "Nevertheless, though English and colonial institutions were structurally similar, attitudes toward those institutions differed."

They continue by talking about how, to the English, the constitution is not viewed as a fixed document the way it is in the colonies (line 35). Their constitution is ever changing and cumulative, as Parliament had "absolute power" to change it as they want. Therefore, to call the English constitution a cumulative corpus of legislation and legal traditions accurately describes the main difference between their attitudes.

I hope that clears up your confusion!
 lawlandmem
|
Hello,

Can someone explain why the correct answer is C and why A is incorrect? Thanks!
 Ryan Twomey
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Lawlandmem,

So this question is asking us how the English attitude toward the English constitution differed from the colonial attitude.

The colonial attitude viewed the constitution as a written set of rules essentially.
The English attitude viewed the constitution as a complete legal history of the country of England.

A. The legal foundation of the kingdom----- I would view this answer as how the country was legally started, since foundation in this sense means "the act of or beginning of," to cite merriams definition.

C. A cumulative corpus of legislation and legal traditions---- I would view this answer choice as closer to the complete legal history of the country of England, which is what I prephrased.

I backed this up in paragraph 4 where the passage states, "To the English, the word constitution meant the whole body of law and legal customs formulated since the beginning of the kingdom."

I hope this helps.

Best,
Ryan
 soupynoodles14
|
I picked C on this question because that aligned closer with the text where the author states "the word 'constitution' meant the whole body of law and legal custom formulated since the beginning of the kingdom". Having said this, I want to take a step back and make sure that the reason why I didn't pick B is correct. If the point of this English constitution is that it can be changed on a whim by an assembly, then it seems like it is more of a "document containing a collection of customs" (B) as of its latest edit. Like, do they put track changes on it the whole time to make it cumulative? They can't have conflicting rules about the law at any one point in time, right? I know it may seem like I'm over-reading it but I do think it's hard for a document to be both cumulative and ever-changing at the same time, unless it just grows and grows and remains self-contradictory as new laws are added or they leave it on track changes. Thank you in advance!
 Jeff Wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi soupynoodles,

While I see what you're getting at in your discussion about ever-changing vs. cumulative, none of that distinction is necessary to eliminate Answer B.

As you point out, the passage states "To the English the word 'constitution' meant the whole body of law and legal custom formulated since the beginning of the kingdom" (my emphasis, lines 44-47).

Notice that there are two parts given, law and legal custom, so the correct answer needs both. An answer that just has one, such as Answer B, is incomplete and therefore automatically wrong. It's literally missing the laws themselves in the answer, which is arguably the more important half.

Second, notice that Answer B doesn't say "legal customs." It just says "customs." Customs without the "legal" modifier could potentially refer to any traditional way of behaving such as shaking hands or saying "Bless you" when someone sneezes, etc..

Finally, notice how Answer C correctly has all the key elements discussed in the above quote "cumulative" gets at the idea of from the beginning of the kingdom, "legislation" is a synonym for the laws, and "legal tradition" is a synonym for legal custom. The test makers love to use synonyms to "disguise" the correct answer choices, especially in Reading Comp, so be on the lookout for them.
 soupynoodles14
|
Thank you!! Happy holidays.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.