LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 mollylynch
|
Hello, I do not understand why B is the correct answer/find evidence that supports it. I chose D because I was under the impression that the elite controlled democratic institutions and they are the ones who are best educated because they have access to the "popular literature."
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, Molly!

Good questions!

In a main point question such as this in RC, we should be attentive to both the information contained within the passage and the author's viewpoint or thesis, with primacy given first to the thesis itself.

The thesis is plainly expressed starting around line 59, wherein the passage makes two claims: (1) Athens was not a democracy because of widespread literacy, and (2) to the extent Athens was a democracy, it was a choice of the elites.

Therefore, our prephrase for our correct answer should use these ideas as a point of departure. More broadly, the author uses the example of Athens to indicate how democracy itself does not presuppose widespread literacy. As part of this claim, the author offers the alternative explanation that Athenian democracy was a choice of the elites.

Therefore the role of elites in society is part of the broader claim about literacy and democracy. This is direct evidence for answer choice (B).

In addition to missing this critical idea of literacy and democracy, answer choice (D) also uses a shell game of "best educated" for "elites." These terms are not synonymous. Also, we have insufficient evidence to claim the best educated are "most often" those who control the institutions of society.

I hope this helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.