LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (C).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 Burnse005
|
Hello Powerscore,
I am curious about why answer choice A is incorrect. Is it because it goes too far in saying that contemporary societies “rely far less on the knowledge of experts” versus correct answer choice C simply saying “less dependent”? Or is it the inclusion of the “gap” part? Or maybe something I’m not seeing?
Thanks so much.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Good question, Burnse005! I think that answer A is too broad, in that it's about our reliance on experts in very general terms, while the passage is really only about reliance on them for information about sociopolitical ideas. One could argue that we rely MORE on experts now, generally, since our society is so much more technological and requires auto mechanics, computer wizards, specialized doctors of all sorts, electricians and pilots and even LSAT tutors. C is the better choice because it acknowledges the similarity - we still rely heavily on experts - but also limits the difference to the subject matter of sociopolitical knowledge (rules of behavior).
 lawlandmem
|
Hello,

So I had difficulty with this question because I wasn't able to find the wording I was looking for when matching the answer choices to the text. I hesitantly (text never mentioned closing gap) picked A because until I read on the forum, I didn't take "rules of behavior" to indicate sociopolitical issues. When I was reading the answer choices, I recall thinking that C does make sense, however the passage never mentions rules of behavior and didn't put the two phrases together until I was checking my work. Are there any suggestions for not getting tripped up by changes in terminology? I was cautious of the change in verbiage since the writers often use this trick on LR questions, however it seems that one should be able to differentiate between proper exchange of words as well as improper. Any advice on how to be more cognizant of both circumstances will be much appreciated. Thanks! -LM
 Ryan Twomey
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey LM,

With reading comprehension, the testmakers will frequently use synonyms to trick you. A and C are essentially the same answer with A being the far stronger answer choice using the languange "far less." So you would want to pick the weaker answer choice here since it is a must be true type of question.

With regards to identifying synonyms, you have to ask yourself in the moment, is "rules of behavior" close enough to "sociopolitical issues" to make the answer correct. For me, the answer is yes.

I would have been between A and C here, and I would have been evaluating the pros and cons of the too strong of language present in A versus the change of terminology present in C and I would have gone with C.

The hardest questions in reading comp are often judgment calls for me, holding up two answer choices, analyzing the language, and deciding which one is better based on the passage.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Ryan

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.