LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=7219)

The correct answer choice is (A)

If each zone contains an I subzone, then no zone can include an H subzone in compliance with the last rule. This helps eliminate answer choice (B). And, since Z1 does not contain any R subzones, it follows that Z1 is limited to exactly one subzone—eliminating answer choice (C):
oct12_game_4_#22_diagram_1.png
Answer choice (D) is incorrect, because we do not have enough variables to designate three subzones each in Z2 and Z3. This would require a total of four more variables, which is impossible given the requirement that no more than 3 subzones are designated for each use.

Answer choice (E) is also incorrect, because we cannot designate four subzones in Z3. Having maxed out the number of I subzones available (3), we can only rely on R subzones to supplement either Z2 or Z3. However, the last rule forbids us from placing 3 R subzones in any zone containing I subzones (I :dblline: 3R), which means that the greatest number of subzones in either Z2 or Z3 is three, not four.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 Echx73
|
Hi Team,

This is quite the game! When I go to this question, right away I eliminated B, C and E because they break some of the basic rules. When I was left with A and D I had to stop and think a second about some things.

I eliminated D because if there were 3 subzones in Z2 & Z3 that means they would both have IRR. That would break the rules in the stimulus of no more than 3 subzones for each game. This would force you to have 4 Rs and you can cross this one off. ----This is correct, right?

Thank you!

Eric
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Eric,

Yes, this is correct. If each zone contains an I subzone, then no zone can include an H subzone in compliance with the last rule. This helps eliminate answer choice (B). And, since Z1 does not contain any R subzones, it follows that Z1 is limited to exactly one subzone, eliminating answer choice (C).

Answer choice (D) is incorrect, because we do not have enough variables to designate three subzones each in Z2 and Z3. This would require a total of four more variables, which is impossible given the requirement that no more than 3 subzones are designated for each use.

Answer choice (E) is also incorrect, because we cannot designate four subzones in Z3. Having maxed out the number of I subzones available (3), we can only rely on R subzones to supplement either Z2 or Z3. However, the last rule forbids us from placing 3 R subzones in any zone containing I subzones, which means that the greatest number of subzones in either Z2 or Z3 is three, not four.

Good job on this one!
 mollylynch
|
How can we have more in Z2 than in Z3 if they are the same? Can't both have a max of 2R because of the last rule? Also, what does "with no subzone designated for more than one use mean?" Thanks powerscore!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
While we do not have to have any Rs in any subzone, mollylynch, we COULD have one or two Rs in either Zone 2 or Zone 3. So if Zone 2 has one R and Zone 3 has none, or if Zone 2 has two Rs and Zone 3 has one or none, then Zone 2 would have more Rs than Zone 3. Thus, answer A describes a situation that is allowed (but not required).

A lot of students get confused about that limitation in the scenario! It just means that a single Subzone can be only one of the three types. You cannot have a mixed use Subzone that is both Retail and Housing, for example. But you can have a Zone with more than one type of Subzone in it, like a group in Zone 2 of HHR (two Housing Subzones and one Retail Subzone).
 mollylynch
|
Thanks for the first explanation! How is HHR not a mixed-use subzone? What would a mixed-use subzone be?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
HHR is three subzones all within a single zone. IRR would also be three different subzones. There are other combinations, too. A mixed use subzone would be a single subzone that is for more than one use, like a combination H/R subzone, or a combination I/R subzone. You can't combine the uses into one subzone, but you can have multiple different kinds of subzones in one zone.

Think of it this way: in one zone, I can build two apartment buildings and also build a retail strip mall. But I cannot build a single building that has a store at street level and residential apartments upstairs. That's mixed use, and that's what the scenario prohibits.
 mollylynch
|
So you can't repeat subzone uses? For example, you can't use HRR in 2 subzones? They all have to be different?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
There's no rule that prevents repetition. It's possible, for example, that all three zones have just H, or just I. Or, you could have Zones 2 and 3 both be IR, or HR.

You can't repeat an HHR because you would need 4 Hs to do that, and you only have three.

To extend my earlier explanation, the limit on 3 subzones for each use means that there can be up to three apartment buildings, three retail strip malls, and three industrial warehouses, and no more than that. Think of them as 9 buildings, total, that can be spread out among the three zones. You don't have to place all of them. In fact, you don't have to place any of them. But if you place some of them, you have to follow the rules, which include:

You can't put all the apartment buildings in the same zone as each other.

You can't put any strip malls in Zone 1.

If you put any apartment buildings in a zone, you can only put one strip mall there, and you can't put any warehouses there.

If you put any warehouses in a zone, you can't put all three strip malls in that same zone.

That's it. There are no other restrictions, so anything that doesn't break those rules would be okay.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.