LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E):

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 reop6780
|
Q13 on pg 31

As far as i understand, the Oneida refused the lump-
sum payment because they were afraid of jeopardizing the Canandaigua Treaty. Is the answer B similar with this in that he has a better option than the deal provided?

The detailed answer at the back directed to the lines of 33-35. I got confused since i felt like looking for an answer that the situation makes someone refuse a deal based upon similar deal in the past.
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

It is accurate to say that the Oneida were suspicious based upon their past dealings, but part of the reason that they turned down the large lump-sum payment was that they thought that making changes to the treaty would threaten claims that were still pending (thus, the rest of that paragraph is worth considering as well--the last couple of lines in particular).

Good question! Did you find answer choice (B) unappealing, or was there another answer choice that you thought better paralleled the Oneida situation?

Let me know--thanks!

~Steve
 reop6780
|
Thank you for the response.

Yes, answer B was unappealing for me since i could not tell accepting early retirement would change the outstanding compensation suit.

I chose answer C due to the comparable concepts of lump-sum as monthly money and perpetuity as weekly payment. However the reasoning to refuse the deal did not make sense. (still, I could not find anything that seemed paralleled to the situation in the stimili)

Is early retirement comparable to any change made under the treat, in this context, compensation suit?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

Thanks for your response. The Oneida were offered a large lump sum payment in place of the ongoing payments that they were to get otherwise, according to the existing plan (the treaty). ...the lump sum was turned down by the delegates, who were concerned that making such changes could jeopardize land claims that were still pending...

Similarly, the employee in the correct answer choice was offered a large lump sum bonus in place of the ongoing payments that the employee would have otherwise received according to the existing plan (continued paychecks).
...the lump sum bonus was turned down by the employee, who was concerned about jeopardizing a workers compensation suit that was still pending...

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.